• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Racking

Barrel Char Wood Products

henry

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 21, 2012
Hello everyone first off just want to say, I'm new to making mead and happy I found this site. My question is I racked my first 2 1gal batches of mead. It was only a one gallon so with that said I didn't have much wiggle room for my tube. When I transferred the mead some of the dead yeast got transferred over to the next carboy will this hurt my mead? Or will it be ok until I rack again or should I re rack it to get all the dead yeast out?

henry

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 21, 2012
enough to wear a see a thin layer at the bottem of the new carboy I used
Lalvin K1-v116

henry

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 21, 2012
I have a airlock on yes, if that is what you mean by topped off.

henry

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 21, 2012
no the level is below the neck should I ad honey or water to bring the level's up?

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
With topping up, water thins the brew fractionally, honey will sweeten if the batch is stabilised but can start refermenting if not, vodka will thin but also can increase the "alcohol hot" taste if its present as well as making it taste a bit dryer.

If possible, its best to use a similar batch or a traditional one, as that has the lesser effect on the original recipe, or of course, if you have access to CO2 you can blanket the batch which has little final effect, prevents air/O2/oxidation etc.

So its really your choice and what you have access too easily.

It's all pro's and con's.........

henry

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 21, 2012
ok thanks next time I make mead I will make extra for topping off. I'm going to have to go with the water for these 2 batches.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns