• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Cloudy 8 Month Old Mead

Barrel Char Wood Products

mzingie

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 2, 2013
First off I would like to say I started this batch at the early end of my homebrewing/mead making career when I wasn't yet wise enough to keep detailed records :p

I primarily brew beer, and have only made 2 batches of mead (this being the second). It is a 5 gallon batch and 15 pounds of local wildflower honey was used, along with nutrients, acid blend, and gypsum. The yeast strain was Lavlin EC-1118.

The original gravity was never taken. After a month the mead was transferred to secondary, then racked once again 2 months later, and again 2 months after that. At the last racking the gravity was taken and found to be around .995. I tasted the mead and it was very enjoyable. However the mead has remained cloudy even now months after that gravity reading. Is there something I may have done wrong or is it normal for some meads to not have cleared by now?

mzingie

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 2, 2013
I forgot to mention the fermentation temperatures. The mead was fermenting in the mid 70s for about 3 months. I meant to use my ferm wrap to keep it warm as the colder months mover in, but I've had it preoccupied with other batches and thus the temperature slowly feel to around 60 degrees.

Riverat

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Normal is hard to come by with mead (but I'm beginning to get there), I find that some honey's take longer to clear. It may just be me but meadowfoam for instance stays cloudy for quite some time, many months, but before a year has gone by it reaches that stage ( strangly not clear but jewel like) that tells me it's about to drop clear in a month or so. I have yet to use any clarifiers and everything has cleared on its own.

The_Bishop

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 24, 2012
Hackettstown, NJ
I forgot to mention the fermentation temperatures. The mead was fermenting in the mid 70s for about 3 months. I meant to use my ferm wrap to keep it warm as the colder months mover in, but I've had it preoccupied with other batches and thus the temperature slowly feel to around 60 degrees.

It may be a protein haze. Had a traditional that did that. Used Super Kleer (combination of kieselsol and chitosan) on it, and within a few days it dropped crystal clear.

Also, don't add acid in the beginning. Honey is fairly acidic on it's own; use it for flavoring after fermentation. Take starting gravity measurements so you can gauge fermentation, and rack it off the gross lees when fermentation is done. Leaving it on the lees too long can impart off flavors.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
What they all said :)

I usually start off with bentonite for anything stubborn, then go with Sparkolloid if it's not cleared up after a month or so.

Some meads drop clear right after primary, some are cloudy for months or years.

mzingie

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 2, 2013
Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I'll be patient for two or three more months and then try a clarifying aid. If I can wait that long anyways.:)

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns