Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!Shop Etowah Meadery!

Default starting gravity?????

5 gallon recipe called for 10 lbs honey (2 qt bottles)(dry mead)
    6 tsp acid blend
    2.5 pectic enzyme
    4 tsp yeast nutrient
    1 pack red star premier cuvee

fermented well for 4 days (started feb 1, 13), seems to be done, which seems early to me
    My notes say starting gravity 1.016, theres a possibility I misread, but Im pretty positive about 1.016. After reading this site 1.016 sounds low. Have I started without enough honey?

Nope didnt check gravity today. Seems 1 kid returned home, and brought 4 (8 and under)grandkids with her. I have been packed up, and stored. SOMEWHERE!

Maybe just add more honey, repitch, buy new hydrometer

The Fusel Shack, in the swamp west of Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

Usually, a quart of honey is only about 3 pounds.

If you did use 10 pounds that is enough to get a starting gravity of around 1.075. That is enough to make a nice 10% ABV mead so you make not need more.

You really do need to check the gravity.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Lanne pase toujou pi bon
    (Past years are always better)

[QUOTE=Medsen Fey;204390]Usually, a quart of honey is only about 3 pounds.

If you did use 10 pounds that is enough to get a starting gravity of around 1.075. That is enough to make a nice 10% ABV mead so you make not need more.
    /QUOTE]

Hmmm, Plastic milk bottles were about 3 1/2 inch square, I'd still say quarts. So I guess I need more, probably yeast again, and wont buy honey from that source again. Guy has a strange scale.

Was it in a "mini" gallon jug like this one?

Those size jugs are 3lbs
    Gallons O' Boos made since 2012: 69
    "It may take longer to be patient" ~Chevette Girl
    My Home Brewing Blog

think plastic milk bottle, tall as gallon, about 1 fist wide
    I found photo on web, was unable to upload it
    http://www.instructables.com/files/d...FR.SQUARE3.jpg

Did your bottles look like this?
    pic1
    pic2

For reference, the jar on the right side of the second pic is a wide mouth quart jar. The jug of honey on the left is 5 lbs of Costco brand honey, so you could have the right amount, if your honey came in containers about that size.

Looks like a half gallon, 6lbs of honey
    My Home Brewing Blog

Well friday I will get new hydrometer to check gravity. They are not so expensive I'm gonna empty all those boxes
    Its definatly not blowing bubble in the airlock anymore.
    Its not clearing either

Just be careful, that can break pretty easy apparently. Also it may take longer to clear, just be patient.
    My Home Brewing Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Blue View Post
    Just be careful, that can break pretty easy apparently. Also it may take longer to clear, just be patient.
    Wow I'm tired, my brain parsed that sentence as "it may take longer to be patient."

Sometimes even when there is no airlock activity apparent, the yeast are still wiggling around finishing off the last little bits of sugar, eventually they'll realize they're done and settle out, but if you're going to add more honey, you're going to want to do that while the yeast is still active.
    "The main ingredient needed is 'time' followed closely by 'patience'." - The Bishop 2013
    "When you consider that laziness and procrastination are the fundamentals of great mead, it is a miracle that the mazer cup happens." Medsen Fey, 2014
    "Sure it can be done. I've never heard of it, but I do things I've never heard if all the time. That is the beauty of being a brewer!" - Loveofrose, 2014
    "I tend to....um, er, experiment, and go outside the box. Sometimes outside the whole department store." - Ebonhawk, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Chevette Girl View Post
    Wow I'm tired, my brain parsed that sentence as "it may take longer to be patient."
    You just got yourself quoted in my signature. It sounds like one of those Confucianisms
    My Home Brewing Blog

new hydrometer says water 1.000
    mead .990
    Tongue says YUCK. Spit it out. no honey flavor. I've never actually had Mead before but this is disgusting.
    Kind of fizzed on tongue, like peroxide

Stirred it with wine thief , did not release gas bubbles, but liquid in thief was fizzy.

Spit, spit , spit. yucky. Have cleansed palate with budweiser, can still taste it

And thats the scientific report from Hell Michigan

Sounds like the typical description of new mead. Let it clear and age and the aroma and flavor come back over a period of months. Backsweetening also works (after you stabilize)

Lanne pase toujou pi bon

Same batch
    While waiting for it to clear, it has started fermenting again. Bubble lock going like crazy. Im positive it was .99 last week

Well if it is going, let it finish. Did it warm up?

Lanne pase toujou pi bon

this room is a consistent 68/70.
    same room I did Chardonnay (kit), which is great. Cant wait till thats a year old

All seems to be well. starting to clarify about 1/3 way down 5 gallon bottle sg.990 and holding

Now is probably a good time to discuss, cold crashing, sodium metebisulphate, and or potassium sorbate (next 3 days supposed to be high 38F low 20) maybe a little warmer in unheated garage)Chemicals before / during crash

While I will try to retain a couple bottles for years, will probably only last 2 at most.
    I'm not sure I understand bulk aging, in carbouy with airlock, in a room that probably varies 68/ 78F on bedroom floor? Or feel safer corked bottles same floor