Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Sorry, I was unclear as to what I meant. I was referring to the stabilizing chemicals. Although, as to the fruit part, should I strain it through a boiled muslin bag then toss the bag in? I was just planning on pouring the puree in then racking on top of that with no bad/straining. I was thinking that the super kleer would drop what I don't want later. Also, I didn't use any pectinase, but I didn't think I'd have to with the puree. Thanks again!

I'm glad to hear the color is good. I used mostly buckwheat and clover honey and it was SO dark. I am going to use some really nice orange blossom to back sweeten this traditional as needed, but hoping that I don't have to use much.
    Mead me.

As far as stabilizing you should hit it with sorbate and potassium meta. For the actual amounts I can't remember off hand but could let u know after work. I personally would use a bag, that would just be easiest for you and then You'd avoid the chance of getting any fruit bits/ seeds stuck in your siphon.

Sent from The Age of Legends, trapped inside a Stasis Box

The Fusel Shack, in the swamp west of Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

If you use 1 gram per gallon of potassium sorbate plus 1.5 Campden tablets (KMeta 660 mg) per gallon it will usually work. If you want, you get get kits to measure free SO2 so you can get the active form to the exact level you desire.

Sent from my THINGAMAJIG with WHATCHAMACALLIT
    Lanne pase toujou pi bon
    (Past years are always better)

That is pretty much what I was thinking, but I would put all that in the rack on top of it, right? So would I use the Super Kleer before or after the stabilizing? The directions for super kleer have a lot of stirring involved. I think this might be the one area where Ken's book falls a bit short, but maybe I missed the stabilization and fining section. Better grab it off the book shelf again. Thanks again everyone for the help!!
    Mead me.

You would clear after stabilizing and back sweetening since back sweetening will cause your mead to haze

Sent from The Age of Legends, trapped inside a Stasis Box

Well, I feel ready for my final stage before bottling...thanks!!
    Mead me.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234