• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Looking for solution to bring down oak levels

Barrel Char Wood Products

Mikeymu

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 6, 2012
Wath-upon-Dearne, South Yorkshire
I brewed a blackberry melomel and put some oak chips (about 10g) in once it reached full strength, cleared and had been stabilized, leaving it in there twice as long as I originally planned to. The trouble is the oak is too much 'up front' and not in the background where it belongs.

I've oaked another wine and found that 3 days with around 10g french toast oak chips per gallon turns out fairly balanced - i.e. how I like it.

I do have enough honey and frozen blackberries to brew another gallon (which would not be oaked) to blend at some future date but wondered if the oakiness would lessen over time anyway, and by how much if so?

Vance G

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 30, 2011
Great Falls Montana
Dilution is the solution

I wouldn't hold my breath while the oak goes away. I don't think it will any time soon. Blending is probably your best option.

joemirando

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
I brewed a blackberry melomel and put some oak chips (about 10g) in once it reached full strength, cleared and had been stabilized, leaving it in there twice as long as I originally planned to. The trouble is the oak is too much 'up front' and not in the background where it belongs.

I've oaked another wine and found that 3 days with around 10g french toast oak chips per gallon turns out fairly balanced - i.e. how I like it.

I do have enough honey and frozen blackberries to brew another gallon (which would not be oaked) to blend at some future date but wondered if the oakiness would lessen over time anyway, and by how much if so?

Can I ask how long "twice as long as I originally planned to" is? I ask because I just added about 7g (guessing) of oak to a gallon of lower-ABV mead, and don't taste/smell anything yet. Are you saying that you had intended 3 days but went to 6? I've heard a lot of differing opinions about both quantity and duration, and I suspect that a lot of that has to do not only with duration, but with the ABV and the other flavors as well.

Thanks,

Joe

Mikeymu

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 6, 2012
How large is your batch?

Oak will mellow a lot with a year or two of aging. If you give it some time, you may not need to do anything else.

It is a 1 gallon batch that I added oak chips to for 7 days instead of the 3 days I originally planned.

It tasted of nowt so I left it longer, but then after racking I can taste more oak than I'd have preferred.

Do you think if I left it a year or two it would mellow so much as to be not so obtrusive?

Mikeymu

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 6, 2012
Ageing it is methinks. I'd rather use the blackberries for summat else - blackberry & elderberry wine for example, and the local honey is so delicious i'd rather brew a traditional with it.

Thanks all.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns