• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Fast Fermentation?

Barrel Char Wood Products

ShaunG

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 25, 2013
near Tampa, FL
OK, so I'm down to 1.020 after pitching Tuesday evening (3 paks of D47 in a starter; now I know you don't need a starter with dry yeast) onto 5 gallons of must which includes 13.5# honey, 3lbs blueberries and water. 24hrs later a nutrient addition followed by another when it was at a 1.040

Should it have come down so fast?

Must temp now is 67.6f down from 68.3 I think the other day. Ambient temp is set for 66.

So, I should add my 1/3 break nutrient addition (a bit late) and plan on racking onto 12lbs of Blueberries sometime Tuesday I reckon when it's down a bit to 1.010 and still active, or should I wait until it's finished with the Co2 production before racking?

Has a nice sweet white wine flavor, not much honey flavor left. Should I add a bit of something to counter the acid from the 12lbs of blueberries?

Shaun

Last edited:

Bob1016

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 24, 2012
Coral Springs, FL
After 1/3 break you should only add organic nutrients (fermaid O, goferm, yeast extracts, boiled yeast, etc.).
That is pretty fast, but I do most of my ferments in 2 weeks. It will blow off a good deal of aromatics, but after aging you will get a slightly more feathered aroma with nice honey notes and esters depending on yeast strain. Just a different style.
I have almost no experience with blueberries, but I will say thct it is better to wait to add acid (or neutralize it if that's the case). Age it out a little and see how it develops, a lot of esters are formed during aging (esters are alcohols and acids reacting, so what esters you get depend on what acids and alcohols are present during fermentation and aging), and you should see where the mead wants to go before you change it too much.

bernardsmith

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 1, 2013
Saratoga Springs , NY
OK, so I'm down to 1.020 after pitching Tuesday evening (3 paks of D47 in a starter; now I know you don't need a starter with dry yeast) onto 5 gallons of must which includes 13.5# honey, 3lbs blueberries and water. 24hrs later a nutrient addition followed by another when it was at a 1.040
Shaun

I am very curious. You state that you are making 5 gallons of mead, so why would you pitch 3 packs of yeast? One pack of yeast is good for at least 6 gallons.

ShaunG

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 25, 2013
near Tampa, FL
Short story Bernard?
>SIGH< its kind of amusing I suppose, but I had asked a merchant friend of mine how much his buddy would sell me 5# of honey for. He calls me up and says $4/pound so I said "Awesome have him drop it off at your shop."

He dropped off 5 GALLONS.

So, I had to read quickly, and I missed that 1 pak was good for 5g and not just 1g batches.

I suppose pitch rate would have a good deal to do with rapid drop in gravity, I just didn't get ANY blowoff or really hard bubbling like I do with a strong beer.

So, I've got 3 batches of Mel planned and a couple experimentals with exotic sugars....exciting to be sure!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns