• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Maraschino Cherries

Barrel Char Wood Products

kplesniak

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 28, 2013
I tried a mead with buckwheat honey (2.5 lbs), maraschino cherries (1 lb), and the maraschino juice (about 2 cups) and it isn't fermenting. I gave it about 10 days, checked the gravity and no movement so I added another package of yeast (Lalvin EC-1118) thinking maybe it was just a bad packet, but still nothing. So now I'm wondering if I had two bad packets of yeast or if there's something in maraschino cherries or their juice that is the problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

kplesniak

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 28, 2013
Thanks, I'll know better next time. Is the any way to salvage this batch or am I stuck with something fit for the kids?

Midnight Sun

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 13, 2010
Anchorage, Alaska
If you have not dumped this, then you can perhaps make a starter. Gradually add must to the starter and you may be in luck. Search for "acclimated starter".

Might need to hit your must with potassium metabisultite to kill any non-yeast bug that may be attempting a foothold.

darigoni

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jun 4, 2016
Brookline, NH
The preservative is only a worry during the ferment, as it "doesn't"...... so if you wanted to add the cherry flavour with steeping the fruit after the ferment is done, or see if you can obtain cherry juice, you could back sweeten/flavour with that as well.......

Oh and maraschino cherries are the ones that are candied for use with cakes etc, while it seems (anecdotal), that sour cherries are better for brewing........

You need to check the date on these blog posts before you respond to them. This particular pos is from 2013 and I've never seen any of these people in the 3 years I've been hanging around.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns