• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Gotmead is at the UC Davis Mead Short Course! Join us!

Barrel Char Wood Products

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Pete and I are at the UC Davis Mead Short Course at the Robert Mondavi Institute. Pete (Oskaar) is one of the presenters, and the creme of the mead industry is here.

The program is as follows:

Thursday:
'Ancient and Modern: Ther Merits and Mission of Mead' Keynote by Dr. Charlie Bamforth

Friday:
Honey Bees - A Status Report - Dr. Eric Mussen
Varietal Honeys: Tasting and Science - Amina Harris and Dr. Andrew Waterhouse
Fermentation Series:
Introduction, Dilution and Process - Chik Brennerman
Nutrients and Processing - Dr. David Block, Marvin Sands, Ernest Gallo (yes, that one)
Flavors, Yeast and Microbiology - Dr. Linda Bisson, Maynard A. Amerine

Panel Discussion: Getting Started in the Mead Industry - Ken Schramm, Chris Webber, Mike Faul

Filtration Series:
Filtration: The Mystery - Dr. David Block
Into the Bottle - Chik Brenneman
Winery Design - Dr. Roger Boulton, Stephen Sinclair Scott
Guided Mead Tasting - Darrell Corti, Ken Schramm, Petar Bakulic

Saturday:
Setting Sensory Standards:
Aromas and Flavors - Dr. Andrew Watershouse
Side-by-Side Tasting of Honeys and Mead - Dr. Andrew Waterhouse, Dr. Anita Oberholster
How Texture and Mouth Feel Contribute to the End Product - Dr. Anita Oberholster

Bringing Mead to the Shelf:
Cost of Mead Production - Dr. Jim Lapsley
Financing a Meadery - Dr. Shermain Hardesty
Discussion: Problems Facing the Mead Industry - Chris Webber (AMMA), Dr. Andrew Waterhouse, Dr. Jim Lapsley

As you can see, this is a landmark event for the mead industry, we have been recognized by the UC Davis Eonology school, and they are giving serious attention to mead making and honey evaluation.

Head on over to our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/gotmead and follow the updates as Pete and I check this all out.

For those who are wishing they could have come, UC Davis will be selling a recording of the event, and we'll make sure you get the link here so you can check it out.

Come join us!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns