Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Default

Does that work?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

2. Default

I do have a video, but it won't let me upload that... There lumps you see underneath the foam and all the way down and you can see them rising and falling with all the co2

Sam

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dunn1994 View Post

Cherry mead: http://youtu.be/pvJ9YUuH3Ug

I do have a video, but it won't let me upload that... There lumps you see underneath the foam and all the way down and you can see them rising and falling with all the co2

Sam

Sam

Sam

Relax, it's little blobs of yeast being churned into suspension by the vigorous activity of the ferment. As the ferment slows down they will drop out of suspension and they will accumulate on the bottom. I would say you have a very happy yeast colony there.
    Duct Tape Is Like The Force, It Has A Light Side, A Dark Side, And It Holds The World Together

Yep, flocculated yeast that's getting its jollies riding on the upcurrents of CO2. Sometimes, I wish I was a yeast flocculate. I'm just weird that way.

The youtube vid link worked fine for me. Looks yummy.

6. Default

Thank you all for the re-assurance! that video was about 20 minutes after pitching the yeast, that cheap ritchies stuff isn't bad :')

And thankyou mannye, Tapatalk is ace!

Sam

7. Default

On my cherry mead I took a hydrometer reading, it came up with 1040, I used just over 3lbs of honey and a litre of cherry juice (very sweet) topped up to the gallon with water. The gravity seems low because it reckons it will only come out at about 3.5%. I tested in a trial jar that came with the hydrometer, do you think that could be too small?
    Sam

I think something's off, or I'm using this calculator incorrectly...
    http://meadcalc.freevar.com/

But according to it, your OG should be around 1.108, and that's not accounting for the cherry juice, which would raise it a little bit more.

What did you mean by "do you think that could be too small?" Were you talking about the sample size, or the SG being too "small"? Sample size shouldn't matter, as long as your hydrometer is floating freely and not touching the sides of your test jar.

9. Default

I think the cylinder I am putting my sample in is too small, like you say it's not letting it float freely :/ I'll have to get on the eBay
    Sam

Most homebrew supply shops probably have what you need. If you have one close by. Most hydrometers are sold in a plastic tube...that will work until you can get a "fancy" one. I want to get one that has a bottom that will stand more stably. My sample tube topples over with the slightest nudge if I'm not careful.

Morewine carries a 100mL glass graduated cylinder that can fit a hydrometer as long as the sample doesn't have a gravity below 1.030. I love it. For FG samples I use my sample thief or a narrow range hydrometer in the graduated cylinder (lowest reading is 0.980 so there is enough floating room in the 1.010-0.990 range).

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC 8000X using Tapatalk
    I have a blog?

I am the creature in the depths of your mind that screams "WHY?!"

Mine is about 200 ml and floats my hydrometer lower than the scale can reach. I find it's perfect for any reading and has a crappy looking orange base that holds it nice and steady. It's going on 24 years old now however, and the plastic isn't as crystal clear as it once was. I think it cost 4 bucks when I bought it. It's also just the right size for a sample about 3/4 cup so when I'm done measuring, it's down the hatch!

13. Default

I've managed to 'find' a 100ml cylinder, it's double the size of the one my hydrometer came in so hopefully I'll have more luck
    Sam

Some people just put the hydrometer in the carboy but I suspect krausen would make readings harder at the beginning

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now. G

Wouldn't it be a lot harder to read in the carboy too? From what I remember, especially if the top of the must was up in the curved part of the carboy, it would be tricky being able to read it correctly.
    Last edited by EbonHawk; 05-09-2014 at 08:01 AM.

16. Default

I had bought two kilner bottles (swing top) and used them for bottling, I was walking round some shops the other day and noticed replacement seals... The one bottle I hadnt used, I swapped the seal and it felt like a much much beer fit...
    So my question is, would it affect the mead that i bottled if I opened and changed the seal? (bottle aging them)

Sam

17. Default

Just have a cork handy and when you pop the top stick the cork in quick to seal it while you exchange the seal. If you were quick about it I think you could get away with opening the bottle, changing the seal and then closing it right away without any adverse effects.
    Duct Tape Is Like The Force, It Has A Light Side, A Dark Side, And It Holds The World Together

Or get one of those wine saver things and give the bottles a quick shot of co2 when you open it.

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now. G

I've only ever taken the SG in the carboy when something was in secondary and so the hydrometer sits a lot lower, I always tied a piece of sanitized waxed dental floss or something to it to make sure I could get it out again!
    "The main ingredient needed is 'time' followed closely by 'patience'." - The Bishop 2013
    "When you consider that laziness and procrastination are the fundamentals of great mead, it is a miracle that the mazer cup happens." Medsen Fey, 2014
    "Sure it can be done. I've never heard of it, but I do things I've never heard if all the time. That is the beauty of being a brewer!" - Loveofrose, 2014
    "I tend to....um, er, experiment, and go outside the box. Sometimes outside the whole department store." - Ebonhawk, 2014

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast