• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Why bees are disappearing

Barrel Char Wood Products

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
colony-collapse-cartoon-lg.jpg

Stasis

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jan 10, 2014
Malta
I was wondering what the story was in Malta and came across an article which seems very much a copy of foreign newspaper's reports on CCD, giving general info on the disorder even though we do not have CCD in Malta (as yet, knock on wood. Honey is already hard to come by). Something which was unique to the article was the following snippet:

"Malta and Gozo seem not to have yet experienced these major unexplained losses. However, some of the greatest local losses come from parasites, such as the Varroa mite which was identified in Malta in August 1992 after having been accidentally introduced through the importation of foreign bees. Varroa killed two-thirds of the bee colonies in Malta and it has now established itself in practically every colony in Malta and Gozo. It weakens the bees, spreads viruses, reduces their immune systems and makes them vulnerable.
The importation of foreign species of bees did not help. In 1997, an endemic sub-species of Maltese honey bee, Apis mellifera ruttneri, was identified. This native Maltese honey bee was found to be very intensive in cleaning itself and the colony from foreign intruders, such as Varroa. The introduction of non-native species has exposed the Maltese honey bee to introgressive hybridisation – leading to loss of valuable traits shaped by natural selection over the years. This presents a clear threat to the conservation of this unique honey bee."

I guess some beekeepers have it good, with bees able to take care of themselves against parasites, but in the end maybe people will shoot themselves in the foot anyway.
In general, I am perplexed how a country like America which takes some things VERY seriously and almost to an extreme, could then take other issues so passively. For example, the article on the GotMead facebook page which states an alarming percentage of honey in the U.S.A is not even technically 'honey' comes to mind

Stasis

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jan 10, 2014
Malta
I read they were in France but didn't know they had reached the U.K also. Yep, those hornets are a real thing :/

antonioh

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Sep 20, 2013
Lisbon - Portugal
[QUOTE I read they were in France [/QUOTE].

Yes , and in Spain and in the north of Portugal and spreading south.

I hope that they don´t spread very far south, at least in the interior, far from sea, as it seems that they can´t tolerate temperatures above 40 ~ 42º C, that are easily reached here in summer.

Shelley

Honey Master
Registered Member
Sep 13, 2013
Harford, NY
MeadMagic.com
I read they were in France

Yes , and in Spain and in the north of Portugal and spreading south.

I hope that they don´t spread very far south, at least in the interior, far from sea, as it seems that they can´t tolerate temperatures above 40 ~ 42º C, that are easily reached here in summer.
Japanese bees have evolved a way to defend against the hornets by basically dogpiling the hornet and overheating it. There have been rumors of it in the US, too. I'm afraid that the hornet is the next major problem we'll have to manage in the next decade.

Stasis

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jan 10, 2014
Malta
They only tolerate 40 to 42C... That's a relief. Temperatures during the summer here in Malta often go above that at least for a week or two. Medsen's pic is rather correct in making us ask not what is killing bees, but what isn't.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns