Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Yah well I'm hoping for a more pronounced black currant and cherry flavor, but you cNt complain about additional berries! My first mead I wanted to make was a blackberry.. Ended up doing a raspberry melomel instead since I was able to get better berries, I have to say, it's been almost a year and it is delicious, blackberry mead would be great. Definitely a project I will do soon , already have some vintners harvest blackberry purée how's your first mead experience so far?

Sent from The Age of Legends, trapped inside a Stasis Box

Well so far it's good! I've got a jar sitting in the guest bedroom so it's nice and dark and kind of cool. Is 75 good for d47? And it smells delicious! I think waiting a whole year to drink it will be hard... But I am planning to make the JAOM tonight so I think that will help me wait on the drinking of my other one. I'm so excited for this stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." - JRR Tolkien

If 75 degrees is too hot for d47 then I'll probably try the wet towel method and just put a new towel on it every day so I don't make any of them mildew. I like the freezer idea but as of now I don't think I should spend that much money on this before I know if I'm any good at it...

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." - JRR Tolkien

It is bubbling 1 time every 3 seconds! Wow I'm so excited! Go yeasties go!

It IS exciting! I keep hanging around my fermentation bucket, checking on it, smelling it, listening to it... I forgot just how exciting it is. It's been almost 7 years since I last brewed something. Non-brewers just don't understand the allure of concocting something that's going to take months to mature, and only moments to drink. But, those same individuals are plenty happy to help you drink up your stores of the stuff. Funny how that works out that way.

Haha yeah I'm hoping maybe my friends won't like mead. Maybe then I will have more to myself! Or maybe they will join the obsession haha

How often should I check the SG?

I take daily SG readings, and pH and temp and write it in my log...

Sent from the Nexus of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy which has been infected with Vogon poetry, some of which leaked out here.
    Don't Panic!

From Portugal to Poland, on a perpetual pursuit for more honey.....

Issues unique to the Netherlands at
    http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthr...880#post222880

Alright! I will do that and what is a good ph?

Quote Originally Posted by GntlKnigt1 View Post
    I take daily SG readings, and pH and temp and write it in my log...
    That's a lot of checking! I thought one of the main goals of this hobby was to "Relax!". I guess if checking those daily makes you happier, that could be construed as relaxation of a form. I guess I need to get me a wine thief or something similar so I can take readings more often.

So how often do you check?

.pH of 3.5 is nice....3.2 is warning track.....2.9 means add potassium carbonate. When fermentation is done, you can do almost anything you like, although there are interrelationships between recommended sulfite levels, pH, and alcohol content....

Sent from Arthur Dent's towel smothering a volume of Vogon poetry, some of which just leaked out.
    Don't Panic!

Sulfite levels? How do I measure that?

Well...don't want to overwhelm too soon, but Be sure to stabilize before you bottle....

Sent from the Nexus of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy which has been infected with Vogon poetry, some of which leaked out here.
    Don't Panic!

Stabilize as in use potassium sorbate?

I check very often. But remember. We drink the samples. So, yeah.

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now. G

Have to use both sorbate and sulfite to stabilize.

Don't Panic!

Default Can you all help me get it right?

Quote Originally Posted by GntlKnigt1 View Post
    Have to use both sorbate and sulfite to stabilize.

Yes! Check the forum for stabilization protocols. If you only use one you're risking off flavors. I'm not an expert on stabilizing since most times I don't, so I will defer to the more experienced.

If I did stabilize, I would do what GK or Medsen Fey says or Oskaar or any one of the dozens on here that know more than me about that stuff.

And don't not stabilize yet. I don't because I don't want to, but I've been doing fermented beverages for a long time and I've never had a bottle bomb. But that's because I'm a crazy maniac and like drunks and babies we get a pass.

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now. G

Here's one of the technical articles on sulfite, pH and alcohol.... In short, a final pH of about 3.0 at 12% ABV requires a lot less sulfite than a pH of 3.4.
    http://www.gotmead.com/forum/entry.p...l-and-bacteria

(You may have to click on the link in the blog to get the tables to display correctly.)
    http://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/FS/FS-52-W.pdf
    Don't Panic!

Do you guys know if fractional freezing is legal or not? And are we allowed to talk about it on here?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast