• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Petiilant or still

Barrel Char Wood Products

ScottBehrens

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Aug 26, 2012
Vero Beach, FL
Bottling day for the Domras Cup. Got a mel that I had stored under CO2 for quite a while before I recently changed over to nitrogen. It was pretty highly carbed a few months ago but has tamed down under the nitrogen. When I fill a bottle there is a bit of foam at the neck, about a half inch, indicates to me its still a little carbed, but swirled in a sample glass there's zero bubbles. How bad would an entry get dinged entered as pettilant if its still and vice versa? Which is worse?

christo

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Nov 30, 2010
Remember that even a still mead can have a few bubbles. At worst all I can see is a 1 point difference in appearance (though I think the bubbles you describe will suffice there for pettilant) and maybe in mouthfeel under flavor would be a spot for a point if you weren't getting a slight carbonic bite I'd be more concerned with if you were needing the carbonation to help with balancing the sweetness a bit than carb level.

In the end, based on the amount of bubbles you describe, I'd go pettilant.

ScottBehrens

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Aug 26, 2012
Vero Beach, FL
I was bottling several 750 ml. I normally keep the nitrogen disconnected after filling the headspace and then use only as needed. All kegs were topped with gas at the same pressure setting right before filling, but this mel keg dispensed like double the flow rate of the others. But it wasn't the large bubbles you might get just from agitation, it was carbonation bubbles. Thought it was strange that I got nothing in the sample glass. Must be the N dissipated. Since this contest they serve the judges poured glasses I'll have to taste it fresh today and see if its evident on the tongue. Bottling days exact a heavy toll when you've only got one dispense tap. I call it 'cleaning out the line'.

Thank you for the replies.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns