• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Composting all the byproducts?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Ottawa has a compost pickup and so long as it's not too sloppy, they don't complain at all about picking up spent fruit etc. Although I've been known to keep the stuff under airlock until garbage night, to keep the fruit flies under control...

If the city didn't pick it up, I'd have either been dumping it at my mom's in her composter or in the poop pit at the farm I worked at.

I think my biggest concern if I had my own compost pit would be the resulting drunk raccoons... but I bet the plants would love it.

EJM3

Honey Master
Registered Member
Nov 21, 2013
The Boozevarian Village of Leavenworth WA
We've got bear, skunk, coons, deer & a few dozen others that would love the tasty treats we compost. But it's all in metal cans, then into a large composting ball or 55 gallon metal drum (no bottom), any of them we can barely get into! Had a few of them in our yard trying to get at them over the years, they've had no luck in over 30 years he's lived here. We compost everything, food waste, garden waste, etc, even my brewing leftovers from mead & now all grain beer as well, at ~6 to 8 pounds of grains each batch, dry weight. All is added to the soil composted (mead adjuncts, food scraps, etc), or directly (beer grains only).

Wingnut

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 29, 2012
Snohomish, WA The Evergreen State
I'm just trying to visualize drunken wildlife in my yard and the resulting hangover the next day. Like I'm up at 7 am with my coffee and I find a seriously drunk skunk in the flower bed......just walk away......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

beecarp

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Dec 11, 2014
Kennewick, WA
Compost all the waste from mead making. Also the fruit pulp from steam juicing. Sometimes I just dump the lees onto the fig bush in the back yard. It's closer than the compost bin.
We have skunks in the area, they ignore the compost. The mice love to nest in the bins though.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns