• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

I'm Back

Barrel Char Wood Products

Aggie4You

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Oct 29, 2004
After 8 long years away, I've finally found my way back.

I never got around to making the chocolate peppermint mead, but the tequila mead (I think I'm going to start calling it tequilamel) was pretty amazing. I'm planning on starting another batch just as soon as I finish my inventory of equipment that's been sitting around collecting dust for the last 7 years and figure out what I'm going to have to replace.

Also, I need to do a lot of catching up on the latest and greatest developments in the mead world.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

that's the bomm guy!!!! Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! He'll see us!!!!

JayH

Worker Bee
Registered Member
May 9, 2006
Corrales, NM
Where in Texas are you? Or are you begrudgingly transplanted?

You just assume he's from Texas because of his handle? He might have gone to the better school on the correct side of the New Mexico / Texas border :)

From another Aggie that grew up with a bumper sticker that said "If god had meant for Texans to ski, he would have given them a mountain"

Cheers
Jay

JayH

Worker Bee
Registered Member
May 9, 2006
Corrales, NM
I could be mistaken. Perhaps I was over zealous for a fellow mazer near me. I seem to be rare in "these parts."

You're probably correct, it's just that sometimes I feel as an alumni it's my duty to remind people that Texas A&M aren't the only aggies around.:)

Aggie4You

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Oct 29, 2004
You're probably correct, it's just that sometimes I feel as an alumni it's my duty to remind people that Texas A&M aren't the only aggies around.:)

We're not the only Aggies around, but I think that the fact that you feel the need to remind everyone says everything that needs to be said. :)

I was born in San Marcos, raised in Odessa, attended school in College Station, and currently live in Midland.

I also spent a few months in North Carolina after college, but that didn't last long.

JayH

Worker Bee
Registered Member
May 9, 2006
Corrales, NM
Sometimes I just remind people because even in this day and age most of America seems to think that New Mexico isn't part of the US

I have a T-shirt that says

New Mexico

Not Really New
Not Really Mexico

You would be amazed at the number of people that ask me what it means.

As a kid I remember the local paper publishing a pair of letters, the first from the then Governor of New Mexico on his official letter head with an American flag on the top left corner and a New Mexico Flag on the top right asking for some kind of information, I forget what. The response from the state department was great. It informed him that this kind of request would not be granted to non US entities and that he had to go through his local consulate to request the information!

now off of my soap box :)

Cheers
Jay

edblanford

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Dec 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, Utah
JayH, interesting, especially since most everyone knows about Carlsbad Caverns (no, not in Carlsbad, CA) and Alamogordo. At least if they attended school on those days. I still occasionally am asked if there is really a wall around Salt Lake City to keep the non-Mormons out. Many people are just that clueless!

Ed

JayH

Worker Bee
Registered Member
May 9, 2006
Corrales, NM
Yes I grew up in Alamogordo, (Means Fat Cottonwoods if anyone is interested) anyway they say that is where the 1st atomic bomb was detonated, so I guess I have an excuse for being weird.

When I was in 1st or 2nd grade, we took a field trip to Trinity Site, most of us picked up pieces of Trinitite and took them home. I had a wonderful piece of green glass about the size of a softball on my dresser for years. Trinitite is the glass that was formed from melting the sand out in the desert when they exploded the first bomb. Then when I was in about 5th grade there was a big deal made of it and we all had to tell our teachers if we had any. They sent people around in heavy lead lined suits and picked them up with tongs and dropped them in a lead box, I meanwhile had played with it for years, Needless to say, it kind of freaked my mother out.

Cheers
Jay

Aggie4You

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Oct 29, 2004
BOMM is the latest thing. Check it out!

That definitely looks interesting. I may to to try it out sometime, but for now, I'm perfectly happy to wait.

I'll be starting in with a recipe that, last time I used it, took 7 months to finish fermenting.

I'm not in any particular hurry.

ScottBehrens

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Aug 26, 2012
Vero Beach, FL
Ed, Sorry man. If there ever was a touché moment. I cant help myself.

I still occasionally am asked if there is really a wall around Salt Lake City to keep the non-Mormons out. Many people are just that clueless!

I am just thinking back on your generalizations of Florida residents.

edblanford

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Dec 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, Utah
LOL, that's ok Kernel. We all have our differences and generalizations. Mine have not changed about Florida (that is what I experienced from almost 6 years there, and a big part of why I left). Your mileage may certainly vary. No offense intended or taken.

Ed

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Ed, Sorry man. If there ever was a touché moment. I cant help myself.

I still occasionally am asked if there is really a wall around Salt Lake City to keep the non-Mormons out. Many people are just that clueless!

I am just thinking back on your generalizations of Florida residents.

You mean there isn't a wall?

:::runs away laughing like Daffy Duck::

Sent from my TARDIS at the restaurant at the end of the universe while eating Phil.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Hey Mannye. Me & pokerface are gonna call him BOMMMAN. You in with that?

BOMM MAN eh? What's the costume look like? I'm thinking Marvel rather than DC.

I really suggest you try the one gallon BOMM. It's really a 90 day mead that is very drinkable after just 30 days. It really gets great at a year old but I don't know what happens after a year since it never lasts that long in my house.

Sent from my TARDIS at the restaurant at the end of the universe while eating Phil.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns