• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Making mead with a friend or family

Barrel Char Wood Products

GntlKnigt1

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2004
Chicago area formerly Netherlands
I will be back in Chicago soon for a visit, and am looking forward to starting a batch with my younger son. Both sons have been involved with earlier batches, and designing labels. Among some of my fav memories. My wife is becoming quite well versed in it too, and helps with making and bottling.

What are some of your memories with family and friends? I would guess the are "Exactly the same only different." (Courtesy of the late, great Jim Glowacki).

JayH

Worker Bee
Registered Member
May 9, 2006
Corrales, NM
A friend of mine is well known for making an excellent Chocolate porter (with actual Coco, not just Chocolate grains). One day in a hurry he brought a keg to a brew party without even tasting it first. Everyone complimented him on his Chocolate Mint porter.

Mint?? he hadn't put any mint in his porter, now there are lots of off flavors you can get, but strong spearmint is not one of them. After several attempts to duplicate this to no avail, he and some friends were sitting around the kitchen table discussing what could possibly have caused the Spearmint flavor when his wife looked at him and said "Honey promise not to get upset. I saw your daughter (about 2 at the time) spit a mouthful of those red and white after dinner mints into one of your carboys a couple of months ago". So now his Chocolate Mint porter is named in her honer.

Cheers
Jay

ostensibly

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 14, 2013
Ann Arbor, MI
My 6 yo loves using the autosiphon, the floor corker, the hydrometer, pH strips. He's helped with almost every batch of mead and wine I've made in the last 4 years, it's pretty awesome.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns