• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

18th Annual Domras Cup Mead Competition - Feb 6 - Savannah, GA

Barrel Char Wood Products

christo

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Nov 30, 2010
In a few days the registration page will be opening for the Domras Cup Mead Competition. In its 18th year, the event should be bigger and better than ever continuing at our new venue on the marsh, an expanded oyster roast/low country boil, entertainment, and of course lots of mead to judge. Please pass this on to any fellow mead lovers.

18th Annual Domras Cup Mead Competition
• Competition Date: Saturday, February 6, 2015.
• Entry window: January 4 to January 28, 2015.

We are now part of the East Coast Meadmakers Alliance competition series (https://www.facebook.com/East-Coast-Meadmaker-of-the-Year-1156889417657729/?fref=ts) and the Southeastern Homebrewers Association competition series (https://www.facebook.com/groups/541112192714779/ ). A donation will be made to the Ronald McDonald house from the proceeds.

Why enter?
We have a core group of certified mead judges to provide great feedback on your mead. Any size bottle is acceptable (meads will be served “blind” by our experienced stewards). We know your mead is a precious thing. You can send any number of bottles you want, but we do recommend a minimum of one 750ml, two of anything else (10-16 oz.), and two if carbonated to ensure a fresh bottle for the BOS round. Ribbons and lots of great prizes - from the Savannah Bee Company (can you say 100 lbs of regional honey!), several commercial meaderies, and Savannah Homebrew Shoppe. The cost is $8 per entry.

Why join us?
We can use certified judges and mead aficionados for judging and stewarding. We have a dozen local certified mead judges, but always need help. Each volunteer will get an etched Domras wine tasting glass or some other local swag. Drawings for a door prize or two will be in order. Breakfast will be available before we start and snacks in between. Immediately following judging, we hold our epic post-party and oyster roast that is a time not to be missed, so if interested in helping to judge or steward, please sign up on the registration page and come join us. We generally try to finish in one round though a few folks may have to do two smaller rounds. BOS should start by early afternoon.

At this point we don’t have plans for drop-off locations (except locally). If entries are registered and paid for and at proper condition, however, we can accept the entries the morning of the competition if someone is planning to come judge from another area. Just let us know in advance to discuss any special arrangements needed. Registration will be open through January 28. Unless you are bringing your entries (and have made arrangements for such), all entries should be delivered by the 28th.

For more information please visit the SBL website at http://www.savannahbrewers.com/domrascup.php . The direct link to the Domras Cup on-line registration page is http://domras.homebrewcomp.com

As we say, we're only second oldest, not nearly the largest, but we think we are the funnest mead-only competition in the world.

Cheers!

Chris Stovall

christo

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Nov 30, 2010
The entry window is now OPEN. So come on and enter (and/or help us out by volunteering).

Cheers!

paraordnance

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 16, 2011
No international entries allowed in this competition? Entry form will not accept Province/Postal Code

christo

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Nov 30, 2010
No international entries allowed in this competition? Entry form will not accept Province/Postal Code

Hi Paraordnance-
In order to complete registration on the registration page, you can just insert 00000 for a zip code and choose any state. This will allow you to complete registration. If you can provide an address with your shipped entries, we will be sure to get you any ribbons, etc. to you. We've received international entries in the past, but appears to be a new glitch with our updated registration software. We're also still checking out the international paypal options for payment. I can't recall there being issues in past years. We'll keep you posted as we move through this. Thanks!

christo

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Nov 30, 2010
I want to say thanks and a great job to the Got Mead staff (Vicky, AJ & Petar!) for the Got Mead podcast yesterday talking with Mike Tripka and highlighting the Domras Cup. Mike mentioned due to our registration page being down at various times over the past 2 weeks, we have extended the entry window to Jan 31st. We have a record number of entries, but a few more are welcome!

Last edited:

ScottBehrens

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Aug 26, 2012
Vero Beach, FL
I tried to post a thank you over on the SBL site but my registration failed.
These guys know how to throw a party. From the breakfast burritos, pizza, chicken wings, salads, homebrews, to the oysters (and it IS epic), low country boil, etc, etc. And oh yeah, then there was the 140 meads. The food and drink was only surpassed by the hospitality and generosity of the entire group. A hearty Thank You goes out.

ScottBehrens

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Aug 26, 2012
Vero Beach, FL
No I didn't, it was the first comp I ever went to and I volunteered to steward to get my feet wet.
I did manage to sneak a sip (or two) of yours at the afterparty though. Good Stuff!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns