Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1

    Default Yet another slow/stalled fermentation concern

    Traditional

    OG 1.085
    D-47
    Temp 64-66F
    progressed nicely through the 6th day to a gravity of 1.038
    7th day 1.036
    8th day 1.032
    9th day 1.029
    10th 1.028
    11th 1.028

    PH 3.6 Today

    Bubbling has steadily decreased but, has been steady at about 3-4 per minute for the last few days, I see some tiny bubbles rising. (I know from advise on this forum that this is not a good indication, but I mention it because there is some apparent activity)

    I am concerned (starting up without enough knowledge) that I possibly could have killed some of my yeast at pitch, I re-hydrated for 15min at 104F then pitched (not cooling further) and have since learned that I could have stressed or killed a large portion of my yeast adding it to 70F Must, and the possible large temperature difference.

    I used an SNA protocol of Dap and Energizer at 24hrs-48hrs and74hrs (per total recommended amount- divided over these days)

    I sanitize everything but, also wonder about the fact that I have an almost yellowish color to the very little foam build-up during fermentation. This has not increased in mass but always returns 1-2 hrs after daily de-gas.

    Any help or suggestions would be great.
    Last edited by mrngbear; 02-01-2016 at 01:28 PM. Reason: PH 3.6
    You meet the nicest people in the mountains.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    The Fusel Shack, in the swamp west of Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    Posts
    8,818

    Default

    Are you certain that ph is right? Your meter is calibrated?

    You have plenty of yeast because they've done 2/3 of the work already.

    You can bring the temp up to 68-70F, and give it some aeration. If you have yeast hulls, I'd try adding 2-4 g/gal. The yeast are slow, but they should be able to take this dry.

    How much nutrient did you add?
    Lanne pase toujou pi bon
    (Past years are always better)

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Medsen Fey View Post
    Are you certain that ph is right? Your meter is calibrated?

    You have plenty of yeast because they've done 2/3 of the work already.

    You can bring the temp up to 68-70F, and give it some aeration. If you have yeast hulls, I'd try adding 2-4 g/gal. The yeast are slow, but they should be able to take this dry.

    How much nutrient did you add?
    I don't have a PH meter, only wine PH Stips from Precision Labs, so accuracy is a matter of interpretation but I think 3.5- 3.6 is reasonably close.

    In a 2.25 gal must I added approx. 2.2 TSP of DAP and 1.1 TSP of Energizer divided over "my" SNA

    I have been de-gassing daily through a swirling technique. I have no aeration tools, but will at least try to aerate better using a stiring spoon.

    I will bring the temp up (have been utilizing damp rags draped over the carboy to keep the temp down for the D-47 through evaporation)

    As far as yeast hulls, I don't have any. Although I have read about boiling bread yeast, I am still not clear on the proper procedure and would appreciate a more clear example of the correct procedure in detail.

    Thank you Medsen
    Last edited by mrngbear; 02-01-2016 at 03:38 PM.
    You meet the nicest people in the mountains.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    The Fusel Shack, in the swamp west of Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    Posts
    8,818

    Default

    Aerate gently or you'll be mopping up a mess.

    For boiling bread yeast, I have a very long & intricate process - I put them in about 1/2 cup water and nuke them in the microwave until they are boiling. Then I pour them in.

    If you have any carbonates (potassium or calcium), I'd consider adding a tsp.
    Lanne pase toujou pi bon
    (Past years are always better)

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Medsen Fey View Post
    Aerate gently or you'll be mopping up a mess.

    For boiling bread yeast, I have a very long & intricate process - I put them in about 1/2 cup water and nuke them in the microwave until they are boiling. Then I pour them in.

    If you have any carbonates (potassium or calcium), I'd consider adding a tsp.
    I added 1/2 TSP of calcium carbonate and new PH estimate is now 3.8 (30-40min after addition of cc)
    I boiled (microwaved) 1/2 package of bread yeast...allowed to cool to room temp then poured off most of the liquid on top and added 1/4 TSP of the 'hulls' to the must.

    Updates coming soon!
    Thanks
    You meet the nicest people in the mountains.

  6. #6

    Default

    Thanks Medsen (doc),
    It seems, at least for now, your diagnosis was spot on. Perhaps the acidity was an issue, and now that the yeast has something to snack on, I'll hopefully see continued progress.

    Today the gravity is 1.026 a drop from the previous 2 days of the 1.028

    will update, daily gravity
    You meet the nicest people in the mountains.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrngbear View Post
    Thanks Medsen (doc),
    It seems, at least for now, your diagnosis was spot on. Perhaps the acidity was an issue, and now that the yeast has something to snack on, I'll hopefully see continued progress.

    Today the gravity is 1.026 a drop from the previous 2 days of the 1.028

    will update, daily gravity
    1.024 ...still moving
    You meet the nicest people in the mountains.

  8. #8

    Default

    Just a quick update...
    gravity has been dropping 2 points a day since PH correction, with a temp in the 65-67F range
    16th day 1.018
    Smells yummy! Good to go!
    Thanks to all who have contributed to my success!
    You meet the nicest people in the mountains.

Similar Threads

  1. Stalled fermentation
    By Marc in forum Troubleshooting your Mead
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-13-2015, 11:49 PM
  2. Stalled fermentation in 5 gallon batch of JAOM
    By Lois in forum Mead NewBees - Post your Questions Here
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-29-2010, 09:11 PM
  3. Am i stalled or has fermentation just run it's course?
    By ohiobr in forum Mead NewBees - Post your Questions Here
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-31-2010, 10:11 AM
  4. Stalled fermentation
    By crimsondrac in forum Mead NewBees - Post your Questions Here
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-20-2010, 03:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •