Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!Shop Etowah Meadery!
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    8,398

    Default Back to Basics - Backsweetening

    So something turned out a little drier than you'd prefer? Here's how you can fix it... we'll be discussing several different methods and who prefers which way and why they prefer it. We will be discussing this topic on Gotmead Live on July 5th.

    If you have specific questions you'd like answered on the subject of backsweetening, post 'em here and we'll make sure we address it on the show!

    We've already got one question from jflanigan244 about stabilizing before adding fruit in secondary, and a few more from EvolvingCaveman including how long to wait after stabilizing before backsweetening.
    "The main ingredient needed is 'time' followed closely by 'patience'." - The Bishop 2013
    "When you consider that laziness and procrastination are the fundamentals of great mead, it is a miracle that the mazer cup happens." Medsen Fey, 2014
    "Sure it can be done. I've never heard of it, but I do things I've never heard if all the time. That is the beauty of being a brewer!" - Loveofrose, 2014
    "I tend to....um, er, experiment, and go outside the box. Sometimes outside the whole department store." - Ebonhawk, 2014

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Wath-upon-Dearne, South Yorkshire
    Posts
    168

    Default

    Hi. I have an oak leaf mead which was stabilised some time ago. It is twelve months old and too dry for our tastes. I don't mind waiting for it to clear again if I use honey, as I've used in the past, but cannot help wondering what it would taste like if I used the non-fermentable wine sweetener I just purchased.
    DRINK!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    8,398

    Default

    I have some of that stuff too (wine conditioner, for use in stabilized wines), Mikeymu, although I've never used it on a mead, only on wines. Well, there's only one way to find out!! Pour yourself a glass of the mead and test it! See how it tastes! I'll ask around on the show to see if anyone has any experience with that or other nonfermentable sweeteners. Do you happen to know the ingredients in what you've got?
    "The main ingredient needed is 'time' followed closely by 'patience'." - The Bishop 2013
    "When you consider that laziness and procrastination are the fundamentals of great mead, it is a miracle that the mazer cup happens." Medsen Fey, 2014
    "Sure it can be done. I've never heard of it, but I do things I've never heard if all the time. That is the beauty of being a brewer!" - Loveofrose, 2014
    "I tend to....um, er, experiment, and go outside the box. Sometimes outside the whole department store." - Ebonhawk, 2014

  4. Default

    I also have the wine sweetener for use in stabilized wines. But the key is the stabilized part.

    Mine is Inverted sugar and/or High Fructose Corn Syrup. Both of these are fermentable.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Wath-upon-Dearne, South Yorkshire
    Posts
    168

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chevette Girl View Post
    I have some of that stuff too (wine conditioner, for use in stabilized wines), Mikeymu, although I've never used it on a mead, only on wines. Well, there's only one way to find out!! Pour yourself a glass of the mead and test it! See how it tastes! I'll ask around on the show to see if anyone has any experience with that or other nonfermentable sweeteners. Do you happen to know the ingredients in what you've got?
    Hi.

    "Ritchies" wine sweetener contains Glycerol, Propylene glycol & Aspartame.

    I purchased this because I reasoned that having three different ingredients would mean that no ingredient would stand out in the resultant taste.
    DRINK!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    8,398

    Default

    I hope you caught the show last night Mikeymu, we did cover this and our various experiences with other artificial sweeteners! I have tried using Splenda and Vicky and I both have limited experience with Stevia. What we've found is that less is more, and most of us prefer either backsweetening with honey or blending with an oversweet batch to using nonferrmentable or artificial sweeteners for taste reasons but if for whatever reason you can't stabilize it (either problems with stabilizing chemicals or you're trying to bottle-carbonate), go easy on them or you will be able to taste it.
    "The main ingredient needed is 'time' followed closely by 'patience'." - The Bishop 2013
    "When you consider that laziness and procrastination are the fundamentals of great mead, it is a miracle that the mazer cup happens." Medsen Fey, 2014
    "Sure it can be done. I've never heard of it, but I do things I've never heard if all the time. That is the beauty of being a brewer!" - Loveofrose, 2014
    "I tend to....um, er, experiment, and go outside the box. Sometimes outside the whole department store." - Ebonhawk, 2014

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Wath-upon-Dearne, South Yorkshire
    Posts
    168

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chevette Girl View Post
    I hope you caught the show last night Mikeymu, we did cover this and our various experiences with other artificial sweeteners! I have tried using Splenda and Vicky and I both have limited experience with Stevia. What we've found is that less is more, and most of us prefer either backsweetening with honey or blending with an oversweet batch to using nonferrmentable or artificial sweeteners for taste reasons but if for whatever reason you can't stabilize it (either problems with stabilizing chemicals or you're trying to bottle-carbonate), go easy on them or you will be able to taste it.
    thanks I would have liked to watch the show but missed it, not knowing when or how I could watch it. The advice in the above post though is very helpful.
    DRINK!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    8,398

    Default

    Mikeymu, you can catch all the Gotmead Live back issues in a bunch of different places, just google "gotmead live", it's faster than me tracking down the link I have bookmarked
    "The main ingredient needed is 'time' followed closely by 'patience'." - The Bishop 2013
    "When you consider that laziness and procrastination are the fundamentals of great mead, it is a miracle that the mazer cup happens." Medsen Fey, 2014
    "Sure it can be done. I've never heard of it, but I do things I've never heard if all the time. That is the beauty of being a brewer!" - Loveofrose, 2014
    "I tend to....um, er, experiment, and go outside the box. Sometimes outside the whole department store." - Ebonhawk, 2014

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Wath-upon-Dearne, South Yorkshire
    Posts
    168

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chevette Girl View Post
    Mikeymu, you can catch all the Gotmead Live back issues in a bunch of different places, just google "gotmead live", it's faster than me tracking down the link I have bookmarked
    Thanks. I found that immediately and so now I know!
    DRINK!

Similar Threads

  1. Back to Basics - Stabilization
    By Chevette Girl in forum GotMead Live - Back to Basics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-02-2016, 01:11 AM
  2. Back to Basics: future topic schedule
    By Chevette Girl in forum GotMead Live Questions and Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-21-2016, 12:49 AM
  3. Back to Basics: Honey!
    By Chevette Girl in forum GotMead Live - Back to Basics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-04-2016, 12:00 AM
  4. Back to Basics: Honey!
    By Chevette Girl in forum GotMead Live Questions and Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-04-2016, 12:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •