• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Ultra small batch, how small?

Barrel Char Wood Products
D

Douglas E Knapp

I would like to try making mead but I only drink like one glass a week or month so making 5 liters would mean a year's supply plus! I also want to experament with different recipes and stuff so I was thinking that 250ml might be more a good size per batch for me. Will this work or must you make big 5 liter batches?
Any tips? I am a newbie.
Thanks all!

Maylar

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
May 23, 2015
Connecticut
You can get a 1/2 gallon glass jug that will work well as a small fermentor. Yield from 1/2 gallon will only be maybe 2 wine bottles of mead.

caduseus

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 20, 2016
Cincinnati
Amazon sells fermentation tops to put on quart size mason jars. I do experiments with that one.

Foothiller

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Apr 1, 2015
Sierra Foothills, CA
I haven't gone that small yet with mead (so far I have done 3-qt batches in 1-gallon glass "carboys" that originally held apple juice), but I have done 1-qt batches of beer in 1.5 liter "carboys" that originally held wine, to learn individual ingredients. Once I had tasted the specific ingredients, I didn't want more than the 2 bottles that were produced (with one exception that became a regular habit). It was just a matter of scaling down the recipe and using essentially the same process as usual, using smaller equipment. There was little time savings compared to something like 2.5-gallon batches, but the point was to learn, not to produce much volume. With mead, the lifetime can be very long, and conditioning actually lets the mead improve. So, I would just plan to make a regular batch, and enjoy it at your own pace.

Swordnut

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 26, 2013
Holland
My first attempts were with 1.5L soda bottles as fermenters. I got some very tasty results with them. Just follow a simple recipe for a traditional mead. Also: clean, clean, clean, clean, clean!!!!!

D

Douglas E Knapp

No joke.

I think foothillers answer best sums up why I asked this. I like mead. I don't drink much of any alcohol and I like making stuff like mead, bread, mushrooms or whatever. I want to experament with recipes, techniques and ingredients. I am a bit of a connoisseur and that takes lots of taste tests and playing around with experimental batches in order to learn how to make what I really like. I don't want 50 gallons or 100 liters of the stuff sitting around. It would be a lifetime supply for me. :)

Thanks for all your insights. It is really helpful!

I don't understand trokio's joke about recipes.

stilts1007

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 25, 2016
Chicago
I don't drink much mead either (I'm more of a beer guy) and when I do it is generally a small amount at a time, but I have enjoyed doing 1 gallon (appx 4 L) batches. It is easy to experiment & if a batch doesn't turn out, I'm not too upset about it. That size carboy leaves me with about 9 bottles (12oz, 355ml), most of which I give to friends and family, or bring somewhere to share. If nothing else, I would suggest doing slightly larger batches because I always find myself wanting to give a lot away to people, and spread the word about the greatness of mead.
A friend recently purchased some 187ml wine bottles to bottle his mead, he also does 1 gallon batches and likes giving it away. I am considering buying some for my next batch.
Good luck!

pdh

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Sep 16, 2016
Northwestern Pennsylvania
I brew mead in one-gallon batches too -- as you say, I generally get 9 or 10 12-ounce bottles per batch. I like being able to experiment with different techniques and ingredients and yeasts, so although I have the equipment to brew 5-gallon batches (I brew beer in 5-gallon batches), I always use one-gallon glass jugs when making mead / cyser / hard cider. Right now I have three different one-gallon batches fermenting. I like the variety, and failed experiments are much less painful when it's only a gallon.

Two downsides: one is that if you brew a batch that you really, really like, it's gone way too soon. Second, for recipes that require long aging, if you decide to taste-test a bottle every four months or so, you run out at just about the time that it's getting really good.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns