• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Newbie Here Worried About Fermentation

Barrel Char Wood Products

jahnesta8

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 19, 2017
Hello all. This is my first post about the first thing I have ever deliberately tried to ferment, so please be patient with me. I essentially followed the recipe at https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/tradition-dry-varietal-mead/ however I am staggering the heist nutrients at 1.25 tsp every other day for four days.

I am doing y primary fermentation in a good grade bucket with an airstop. I pitched the yeait and added to the must on Sunday. When I open the container to add the does of yeast nutrient, it is obvious that fermentation is taking place however I am getting zero bubbles from the airlock. I say it is obvious because their is clearly CO2 being produced, just not violently.

My first question is whether or not jos means a damn thing. The second question is whether or not this is beif caused by an air leak and if so, would it hurt to transfer to a glass carboy?

The primary fermentation is happening in my 68 or so degree basement as the wife vetoed all other suggestions. It is dark and the temp is steady.

Thank you in advance. If I didn't provide enough info to properly give advice, please indicatebso.

pwizard

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 17, 2015
Birmingham, AL
Don't worry about the airlock, those pails are seldom airtight. What does your hydrometer say? If the gravity drops a little (or a lot) each day, you're fine.

How large of a batch is it? 1.5 tsp of nutrient isn't very much. What kind of nutrient? What kind of yeast?

zpeckler

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 7, 2014
Newark, De
Get a hydrometer. Subjective things like airlock activity aren't enough to monitor a fermentation. $10 at a homebrew store and it's pretty much a mandatory piece of equipment if you're going to brew pretty much anything.

jahnesta8

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 19, 2017
Thank you for the quick reply!

I forget the name of the nutrient (I am at work), but it is a combination of urea and DAP. I am adding 1.25 tsps. every other day over the course of 6 days - Day 0, 2, 4, and 6. The yeast nutrient container calls for 1tsp per gallon of must. It is a 5 gallon batch. I will check the gravity tonight when I aerate.

TXMeadGuy

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jan 11, 2015
Houston, TX
I would definitely recommend getting a hydrometer from your local homebrew shop. You can't always rely on airlock activity to determine whether or not there's an active fermentation going on. Degassing can cause airlock activity, just like an air leak can cause little or no airlock activity.

I would also recommend getting separate DAP and Fermaid K. You can find them on the Morebeer website, if you can't find them locally. If you're using dry yeast, do yourself a favor and pick up some Go Ferm, too.

As far as transferring to a glass carboy, I would wait until primary fermentation is over because sometimes it can stall your batch. Hope this helps you out a bit. :)

caduseus

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 20, 2016
Cincinnati
I would definitely recommend getting a hydrometer from your local homebrew shop. You can't always rely on airlock activity to determine whether or not there's an active fermentation going on. Degassing can cause airlock activity, just like an air leak can cause little or no airlock activity.

I would also recommend getting separate DAP and Fermaid K. You can find them on the Morebeer website, if you can't find them locally. If you're using dry yeast, do yourself a favor and pick up some Go Ferm, too.

As far as transferring to a glass carboy, I would wait until primary fermentation is over because sometimes it can stall your batch. Hope this helps you out a bit. :)
Fermaid-K and Fermiad-O are both on amazon as well.
I disagree. I would get either DAP+ Fermaid-O or Fermaid-K+ Fermaid-O or JUST Fermaid-O.

I always recommend Fermaid-O no matter what as it is the ONLY source of exclusive organic nitrogen.
DAP and your current product= inorganic nitrogen only
Fermaid-K and yeast energizer= inorganic and organic nitrogen mixed together

jahnesta8

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 19, 2017
The recipe called for Fermaid K only and the product I mentioned was suggested by my local home brewer store owner as a substitute (the recipe only called for fermaid K). I can definitely grab the other items, but is it too late at this point for my current batch? The last round of fermaid will be going into the must tomorrow. If I get those products in soon, would it be damaging to add in addition to the 5 tsps of urea + DAP already added?

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
You're going to have to settle with what you have. For future reference . I would suggest never ever using anything with Urea in it.

Fermaid-O and Goferm are what I would strongly suggest. But "K" is best if you don't want to use "O". I personally stopped using DAP almost 2 years ago and probably would never go back to use it again. Unless something changes in the future.

jahnesta8

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 19, 2017
Can you provide a little info on why I shouldn't use products with urea? Also, why did you stop using DAP?

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
So Urea is basically urine. Taste it and tell me if you like that flavor. There are better forms of nitrogen available.

DAP is much better replaced with better forms of nitrogen as well. DAP is inorganic rather than organic. I don't care so much about that. DAP stimulates the yeast just like candy bars would your children. It cause spikes in activity. Some of which cause a spurred growth explosion. Some feel this unnatural explosion makes the biomass grow too fast and the newborn are of a weaker constitution. Thus, they don't preform well later in life. The excelled attitude also causes temp spikes in the must. Temp spikes are never good as yeast really prefer stable temps. Warmer temps could cause off flavors.

If you were going to ride your bicycle for 100 miles tomorrow would you fare better by eating oatmeal and eggs, or would you do better on Butterfingers?

When I switched over to using Fermaid-O I stopped using DAP and my meads started tasting better. I taste a medicinal/metallic/vitamin profile in meads made with DAP.

TXMeadGuy

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jan 11, 2015
Houston, TX
I actually bought some Fermaid O about a week ago but don't have much experience with it to give any advice. Thank you for mentioning it, Squatchy. :)

jahnesta8

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 19, 2017
An update: Fermentation definitely picked up. It is however still fermenting! OG was 1.146 (or there about - I have it written down at home) and is still fermenting at 1.008. The recipe called for 15 pounds of honey, 2 packets | Lalvin 71B-1122, filled with water to 5gallons and staggered yeast nutrient 1.25 tsp every other day for four days.

Primary fermentation began on 1/15 and it is kept around 68 degrees. My original gravity was much higher than the recipe called for (1.108). I am not entirely sure what happened, but what to make sure I have nothing to worry about. This receipt was originally supposed to be between 12 and 15% abv, and is currently pushing closer to 18%. I have read that I should let the yeast do its thing, but want to make sure I am not going to end up poisoning myself haha. Thank you!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns