• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

This years agenda

Barrel Char Wood Products

djsxxx

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 18, 2016
United kingdom
Maybe before you start your next attempt run it past the members here to make sure you have everything in place. Strawberries are pretty challenging for sure. You have to use truckloads of strawberries for one. And I generally am a fan of long stretches with the lees in the vessel. However, fruits can certainly shorten that amount of time. Especially if the temps are warmish.

Do you have the same issue when making traditionals?
Trads are fine, it's very much a fruit thing.

Next attempt I'll ask in advanced. 🍓🍓

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

caduseus

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 20, 2016
Cincinnati
For me: Bochet!
We have all these great methyglyns, melomels, cysers, and others. I want to explore this more- but with Bochets.
I really like mead but I must say (pun intended), I really love Bochet. Considering I like red wines more than whites, I guess this was to be expected.
I started 2 batches this year so far.

Swn Gwyrdd

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 11, 2016
Hazel Grove (Near Manchester)
I'd really like to have a go at a bochet at some poiint too. Still experimenting with fruit and other things at the moment, got a Turkish Delight Mead penned "Aphrodizzyac" going right now. I'm not the biggest fan of Turkish Delight, but a couple of my friends asked me to make one for them so I thought I'd give it a go.

archaic

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 13, 2015
Keen to see the difference that Yeasts and Wood bring to bare on otherwise identical batches.

For the Wood input, i have Acacia, Ash, Cherry, Apple and various toasts of Oak infused with Sherry, Malt Whisky and Bourbon.
For the Yeasts : Usual Lavlin suspects Kv116,D47, RC 212, 71b and QA23. ( regret not having CY3079 in that mix ) having read Squatchys experiences with it.

Batches : JAO , TRAD , and various fruit meads. The Sloe berry mead being the one with the full 5 different yeasts on the go.
The Sloe berry with all purpose wine yeast and sugar makes a good wine so that was an obvious one to try for me.

Having moved and blended various JAO Variants to solve headspace issues, i have seen a few of them become better than the original brew. As a relative newb, it will mean jack to a serious brewer but, as the imbiber, it means a lot. Wood notes and blending of: same brew different yeast meads, will be the order of play this year.

VikingBear

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 27, 2016
The Commonwealth of Virginia
My project for this year will be conducting an experiment to see if I can build a data table that will reliably help to determine the ABV of a finished mead based on flash point of the ethanol, taking into account SG, additional additives, etc. The hardest part will be accumulating enough mead of differing known ABV to test. Will it pan out? No idea, but it includes mead and fire, so should be fun!

Stasis

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jan 10, 2014
Malta
My project for this year will be conducting an experiment to see if I can build a data table that will reliably help to determine the ABV of a finished mead based on flash point of the ethanol, taking into account SG, additional additives, etc. The hardest part will be accumulating enough mead of differing known ABV to test. Will it pan out? No idea, but it includes mead and fire, so should be fun!

So... you're planning on making a more accurate potential alcohol calculator? There already are plenty of potential alcohol calculators out there. I think it would be easier to simply use one which you find through experience gives the most accurate results. Personally, I like the gotmead batch calculator

VikingBear

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 27, 2016
The Commonwealth of Virginia
I think he's talking about shinning.

The application would be more for a poor man's way of determining ABV of a mead if you forgot to take a SG reading, prior to fermentation. Based on flash point at a specific temp you can determine % ethanol in a water/ethanol solution. The idea is to see if a similar reference table can be created for a water/honey/ethanol solution. I know, lots of other variables in that solution. It's not perfect, but it's a start and hopefully when the data is plotted out then a pattern will emerge. If not, then I drink the whole damn experiment!

Stasis

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jan 10, 2014
Malta
The application would be more for a poor man's way of determining ABV of a mead if you forgot to take a SG reading, prior to fermentation. Based on flash point at a specific temp you can determine % ethanol in a water/ethanol solution. The idea is to see if a similar reference table can be created for a water/honey/ethanol solution. I know, lots of other variables in that solution. It's not perfect, but it's a start and hopefully when the data is plotted out then a pattern will emerge. If not, then I drink the whole damn experiment!

In that case you can do a spirit indication test

davidgoodfellow

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 1, 2017
Missouri
Sounds like a truly worthwhile endeavor! I have wished on many occasions that there were an easy method for determining ABV of a finished mead when I have failed to take appropriate measurements during the process. Besides that, any reason to make more mead is a good thing :)

Ken2029

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 26, 2015
My goal is to step up from making JAO to more advanced protocols. I've got everything I need to make my first BOMM.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns