• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Mazer Cup results here.

Barrel Char Wood Products

caduseus

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 20, 2016
Cincinnati
I plan to participate at Mead Free or Die next month. Entries and volunteering. That's more out my way, NH, but if there's any chance of you, or anyone else here for that matter, making the trip then let me know!

Jeff

I am going there too. I am volunteering to be a steward.

kudapucat

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 2, 2010
Bundoora, Melbourne, Australia
b925b6d10a96de75aa2e4e7be5f5b4f5.jpg

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
Mate. How did you miss me?
(Hamish from Gotmead? Live)
I won spiced fruit/vege

Hamish

I just didn't know that was your handle here on GM.

I took second place right under you. My friend came to me after the awards ceremony and told me that your and my entry was a toss up for first place. He said the other judges wanted my entry for first and he wanted yours. As you may or may not know everyone has to agree. So he eventually won out.

Congrats on beating me ;P

X-tian

Mead Enthusiast
GotMead Patron
Great job Jeff with your entry

You said there must be something missing. I too have scored high 40's and come home with nothing. That is a fabulous score and places you up in that atmosphere with the best of the best. I hate it when I have a mead so good I cannot over some advice on what to do to make the mead better. That's usually the case when you get meads in the mid forties. It's not that something is missing. I think at that point it's just a matter of someone else just happen to hit on something in their batch that ended up being just a little bit more magical.

Sometimes it's not so hard to "push" a certain mead forward. Sometimes finding the "best of show" isn't too terribly hard either. Other times we end up arm wrestling each other and eventually come to a conclusion on which one get "pushed".

After the awards ceremony my friend, came and told me that the second place I won was one of those meads that the table had to wrestle with to determine what mead would go into the final round. Of course he didn't know itwas mine they were wrestling over. He told me he was the one who was trying to push forward the one that eventually went on to take first place. He said that finally happen after they wrestled for a very long and heated time.

He said he felt bad once he found out it was mine he overturned. I told hi "no worries". I wouldn't want someone to "work for me" anyway. I only want what my stuff could earn on it's own merit.

So don't feel too bad about not winning with a 40 something mead.. The Mazer Cup is the hardest comp in the world. And as you know know, there are tons of outstanding meads there each year in every category.

BTW It was nice to meat you and I'm sorry I didn't get to chat more with you. I had just found out I have cancer the day before the comp and was not at all very social and was trying to deal with that, and it was making me very sick physically from the emotion of it all.

Ryan, I hope and wish you all the best. Healing vibes to you, bud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
Ryan, I hope and wish you all the best. Healing vibes to you, bud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks bud. I should say I don't know yet ( appointment soon) wither it's the type that can kill me or not just yet.

kudapucat

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 2, 2010
Bundoora, Melbourne, Australia
I am lost are you ok Ryan?

He is ok.
His doc has found a problem. I expect it's a tumour.
He is yet to have appropriate tests to find out if it's cancer or not. Either way, depending on the location, it's not good.
We're now waiting quietly until he provides more information.
More information ought to be provided after his test next week.

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
So to be clear. I do have Basil cell carcinoma. This won't kill me. But I do have to have it cut out and monitored. I have to test for melanoma. My GP said it looks very suspicious and I need to get a biopsy. So off to the skin doc. Have appointment. Then have to wait untill the test come back. So,,, I don't know yet.

I will let you guys know when I do.

Thanks all for the kind words and thoughts and prayers!

caduseus

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 20, 2016
Cincinnati
So to be clear. I do have Basil cell carcinoma. This won't kill me. But I do have to have it cut out and monitored. I have to test for melanoma. My GP said it looks very suspicious and I need to get a biopsy. So off to the skin doc. Have appointment. Then have to wait untill the test come back. So,,, I don't know yet.

I will let you guys know when I do.

Thanks all for the kind words and thoughts and prayers!

Thanks for the update.
Basal Cell Carcinoma and Melanoma are not terribly malignant with a good prognosis.
If caught early, treated well, treated aggressively, and monitored closely then it usually has great outcomes.
I do realize no matter what it can be anxiety-provoking however.

Good luck

WayneG

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 27, 2016
I have been going through something somewhat similar for over a year. In November of 2015, my biopsy showed a strange melanoma/lymphoma cancer combination.
Doc's are puzzled, but testing me every 3 months, head to toe, for anything that shows up.
So far nothing, but stress levels are still insane.
The only saving grace is good health insurance and determination to make a awesome Mead for others to enjoy.
For Ryan and anyone else who may go through this; It is very hard to deal with at first, but if you can wrap your mind around it, it is easier to deal with than a 3 day old batch with no bubbler action.
Maybe not, but nothing is written in stone, there is always hope!
Good vibes your way, Ryan
Wayne

YogiBearMead726

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Nice work YogiBearMead! I also had an entry in Traditional Dry (M1A). Scored a 45, was pushed to the second round, but didn't place. So I know I must have been up against some pretty stiff competition in this category, like yours! I'm curious what you scored if you care to share?

I would love to share, except I've not yet received my score sheets back! Hoping they arrive soon, and I can then update you on just how close the Traditional Dry category mini-BOS was!

-Jeff

P.S. Sorry for the delayed reply, too. I've been having some issues remembering my passwords as of late. :rolleyes:

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns