• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Carboy Caps vs Rubber Bung/Stopper?

Barrel Char Wood Products

darigoni

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jun 4, 2016
Brookline, NH
Watch the Meadolgy series, by the Canadian Sasquatch, on YouTube. Also, watch his videos on the BOMM and making a blood orange Melomel.

bathtub brewer

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 19, 2014
Palmer, Alaska
True enough, it was the first batch I tried using the No Heat method so I probably managed to mess that up somehow.

I don't know what went wrong with your batch, but just out of curiosity can you describe the off flavor? I know almost every one on here say never heat, but I just get an musty funk every time I try, So I tried another home brewers mead and theirs had that same funk. I don't know what it is, but I went back to heating. May be just lazy, but I am happy with my mead, so that's all that really matters.

max.barbarian

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 1, 2017
New England
I don't know what went wrong with your batch, but just out of curiosity can you describe the off flavor? I know almost every one on here say never heat, but I just get an musty funk every time I try, So I tried another home brewers mead and theirs had that same funk. I don't know what it is, but I went back to heating. May be just lazy, but I am happy with my mead, so that's all that really matters.

My off-flavor was a lack of honey taste and a super-alcoholy taste to it. I used EC-1118 I think, so that tend to ferment quick/vigorously in my experience and has a high ABV tolerance. Since I've posted I've tried more of it, and the alcohol flavor has mellowed out a fair amount. Seems like aging/patience is your best friend with mead, letting flavors develop and others subside with time.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns