• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Primary Fermentation is coming to a close and I would like a sanity check

Barrel Char Wood Products

ddavis1979

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 30, 2017
Virginia
Okay, here we go.

Started fermentation on 18 DEC and it is 19 JAN. I used 3 lbs clover honey in 1 gal carbouy and filled the rest with water. Both the honey and the water were heated to only 90 degrees and mixed up, stirred up and aerated. I started the Red Star Premier Cuvee Yeast in warm water for 10 minutes and pitched it. Added about 15 raisins and 5 cloves. I didn't do much to it after that, let it sit covered at 70 degrees for 30 days. For the vast majority of that time, it has been putting a steady stream of bubbles through the top of the air lock about 5-6 seconds but has slowed down to 25-30 seconds in the past few days. I will take a gravity reading when I go to rack it.

Here is the list of questions:

1. Do I cold shock it for a week first and then rack it? Do I rack it first and then cold shock it? Should I just rack it, without cold shock and wait for clarification? How long do I wait before I want to cold shock and bottle?

2. I am thinking of doing half the batch with added potassium sorbate and back sweeting, and the other half trying my hand at carbonation by adding a half ounce of honey per gallon and bottling and letting sit without the potassium sorbate treatment. Should I do a secondary fermentation for all this and how does this fit into cold shocking and racking?

3. Is a secondary fermentation a good idea in this case? When is it a good idea and when is it not a good idea? Will getting the mead off the lees on the bottom and the scum on top positively affect the flavor?

Thanks for the insight. Also I have been having issues accessing the NewBees Guide. I find that the link is broken, on the URL is hacked, or my browser doesn't allow to access anything after chapter 12 (both MS edge and Firefox).

Thanks!

ddavis1979

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 30, 2017
Virginia
Wow! I was not expecting that. I went ahead and took a gravity reading tonight and the SG is exactly 1.000 but after being disturbed and exposed to some more oxygen, it is still putting out pretty steady CO2.

I tasted some, not bad, but certainly powerful. I thought the clove flavor was over powering and hopefully I can tone some of that down with some back sweetening.

It is still fairly cloudy, which I understand is very common with the Red Star Cuvee yeast. Sooooooooo, the question remains. Do I cold shock it, do I rack it, given its OG of about 1.120 or not?

darigoni

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jun 4, 2016
Brookline, NH
Thanks for the insight. Also I have been having issues accessing the NewBees Guide. I find that the link is broken, on the URL is hacked, or my browser doesn't allow to access anything after chapter 12 (both MS edge and Firefox).

Seems to be some issues if you try and access the NewBee guide from the gotmead home page (can't see all of the chapters and appendix's to select), also the "Return to Home Page", at the end of Chapter 12 seems to be pointing at an address that goes no where. Don't use the "Return to Home Page", rather just back out of the page using the "<---" of you browser.

http://gotmead.com/blog/making-mead/mead-newbee-guide/the-newbee-guide-to-making-mead/

Also, be aware that the guide is a little dated (makes no mention of organic nutrients or SNA - staggered nutrient additions).

FYI. You'll want to use Potassium Metabisulfite, along with Potassium Sorbate, when you stabilize.

Last edited:

Farmboyc

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 2, 2015
Wow! I was not expecting that. I went ahead and took a gravity reading tonight and the SG is exactly 1.000 but after being disturbed and exposed to some more oxygen, it is still putting out pretty steady CO2.

I tasted some, not bad, but certainly powerful. I thought the clove flavor was over powering and hopefully I can tone some of that down with some back sweetening.

It is still fairly cloudy, which I understand is very common with the Red Star Cuvee yeast. Sooooooooo, the question remains. Do I cold shock it, do I rack it, given its OG of about 1.120 or not?
Cold crashing will certainly help to clear your mead. Then rack off the gross lees.

If you are at SG 1.00 Then you won't likely get a secondary ferment unless you add more sugar/honey. I would suggest you do not do this.

When you stabilize (after cold crashing and racking) you won't be able to re-start fermentation. This is the point you can add honey/sugar to sweeten you finished product if desired.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns