• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

6-12-18 Raphael Lyon - Enlightenment Wine - Making Natural (Wild) Mead

Barrel Char Wood Products

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
6-12-18 Tonight we're hanging out with Raphael Lyon, owner of Enlightenment Wines in Brooklyn, NY. Enlightenment Wines started out as a small part time farm winery in 2009 by Raphael Lyon. In 2015 Lyon reached out to Anthony Rock and Arley Marks with the intent to join forces and grow Enlightenment Wines into a full scale production meadery with a tasting room and cocktail bar in Brooklyn New York. http://ow.ly/WiTK30kt6xy [ click the link to read more]

9PM EDT/6PM PDT

m0n5t3r

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 24, 2018
Romania
As someone who grew up in an area with tons of vineyards and who did a fair amount of barrel maintenance, grape harvesting, carrying and crushing in his childhood and teens, I can concur that the biggest factor in repeatability is weather / amount and timing of rain, the cocktail of wild yeasts in the area will be mostly consistent and the wine from the same type of grapes will taste about the same from year to year if weather was similar.

As an anecdote, a few years ago it was a dry late summer / early autumn, and most people harvested just before the rains came (and got low quantities of wine that was sweeter than usual); my parents didn't have time to do it, so they harvested after about a week of rain, and the wine came out amazing because the previously highly concentrated sugars got diluted to just about the right amount.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns