• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

3rd Batch

Barrel Char Wood Products

Chilkat

NewBee
Registered Member
May 9, 2018
Klukwan, Alaska
Starting my third batch. I'm about getting all my ingredients for this.

I have:

GoFerm
Fermaid O
Tannins
Acid Blend
Bentonite
10lbs Clover honey
Kv-1116
StarSan

So -

Hydrate yeas with Go Ferm; This portion I'm not sure how much to mix with hot water, I have one package of 1116 for 4 gallons of must; Can you use too much or too little?
Mix 10 lbs Honey with H20 in 3 gal carboy so can just shake;
Add 3t Bentonite to 6 gallon bucket;
Add 4g Fermaid O to bucket;
Add Honey to bucket and add spring water to 4 gallons total;
Take OG;
Record OG date and time;
Pitch Yeast.

Nutrient additions 24, 48 and 72 hour points.
Degas 2xdaily with whisk.
Measure SG at night after degassing to watch sugar breaks.

I have these ingredients and hope that's what I need for a great third batch.

darigoni

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jun 4, 2016
Brookline, NH
This TOSNA calculator will take the guess work out of how much Goferm and Fermaid O to use. It will also tell you how to use your Goferm.

https://www.meadmakr.com/tosna-2-0/

You'll need to know that K1-V1116 has "Low" nutrient requirements.

10lbs of honey, in a 4 gallon batch size, should give you a starting gravity of 1.089, but you should check this with your hydrometer.

You don't say what you are doing with the tannins or acid blend. Hopefully you are waiting until the fermentation is over before using them.

Last edited:

Chilkat

NewBee
Registered Member
May 9, 2018
Klukwan, Alaska
Og was 1.090
Spot on. Is there an existing way to find that number? That always amazes me how geeked out this group is about making mead that you guys can see the ingredients and tell me what's going to happen. Exactly.

Chilkat

NewBee
Registered Member
May 9, 2018
Klukwan, Alaska
I didn't do anything with the tannins or acid blends. Yet. Just wanted you guys to know I had it and was waiting for guidance on what to do with them.

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
I didn't do anything with the tannins or acid blends. Yet. Just wanted you guys to know I had it and was waiting for guidance on what to do with them.

Wait to add them after fermentation is over. The acid can cause the yeast to stall if it drops below a pH of 3.0 Acid blends are typically not a good idea. It's better because you can pick and choose which one works best when you buy them as individual acid. Tartaric is most often the one. Followed by malic. I don't use citric ever because it taste fake and citris zest do the same but taste much more natural. Citric acid taste like sour patch kids

Go find the Gotmeadlive podcast and start on 9/5/17 if you want a step by step using the most modern protocols and science based ingredients

Chilkat

NewBee
Registered Member
May 9, 2018
Klukwan, Alaska
Og was 1.090
Spot on. Is there an existing way to find that number? That always amazes me how geeked out this group is about making mead that you guys can see the ingredients and tell me what's going to happen. Exactly.

Why can't I access the podcasts? Am I going to the wrong place? Can you copy paste a link?

darigoni

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jun 4, 2016
Brookline, NH
Og was 1.090

Yes, there are a couple of nice "batch calculators" out there. The MeadMakr website (where the TOSNA calculator is located) has one that is nice, in that you can enter the alcohol tolerance of the yeast you plan to use and how much sugar (final gravity) you want to be left with:

https://www.meadmakr.com/batch-buildr/

Gotmead has one also:

http://gotmead.com/blog/the-mead-calculator/

You need to check off and enter info for two of the sections. Typically you'll check off your batch size and how much honey you plan to use, and it will tell you what your starting gravity should be and what your final ABV will be. Or you can enter in a starting gravity and your total batch size and it will tell you how much honey you'll need.

You should play around and learn how to use both calculators.

Something else you'll also want to be thinking about is that 1 gallon of honey is approx. 12lbs. So, if you were to add 6 lbs of honey to 2 gallons of water, you would end up with a total batch size of 2.5 gallons. Not to be confused with using 6 lbs of of honey in a 2 gallon batch (which would be 1.5 gallons of water). :)

Last edited:

Chilkat

NewBee
Registered Member
May 9, 2018
Klukwan, Alaska
It's in secondary now. Fermentation stopped four days ago. Just added sorbate and PM. Tannins now?does it help clarify the mead? Does it help with mouthfeel?

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
I am listening to the podcasts. I'm sure it's in there somewhere.

I'd love to send mead to a tasting group. Is that still going?

You can send me a sample along with your log. I will fill out a score sheet like the ones we use in competitions.

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
I'll send you a sample from this fourth batch. How should I do this? Do I wait for a certain point/time?

Whenever you want. If it's flawed but only slightly. So that it might disappear entirely over time. I would send it right away so I can pick it out and suggest a fix. If it's really good. It will only get better with time. I have a lot of my old stuff at my brothers to store in his basement. So I actually drink more stuff green. With that said almost everytihg I make is really very drinkable the first week.

So. Whatever you want is fine

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
It's in secondary now. Fermentation stopped four days ago. Just added sorbate and PM. Tannins now?does it help clarify the mead? Does it help with mouthfeel?

If you are new with tannins. Especially if you are going to add an instant tannin. Rather one you have to wait for a long time get an extraction. I would wait, so you have a clean mead to taste it in. Rather than have a hard time tasting through the yeast in your mead. And same holds true if you are still not at the place of good clean meads right out of the box

Chilkat

NewBee
Registered Member
May 9, 2018
Klukwan, Alaska
If you are new with tannins. Especially if you are going to add an instant tannin. Rather one you have to wait for a long time get an extraction. I would wait, so you have a clean mead to taste it in. Rather than have a hard time tasting through the yeast in your mead. And same holds true if you are still not at the place of good clean meads right out of the box

I'm feeling fairly confident with this fourth batch so I'll send you what I have. It's mostly likely due to the fact that I have never tasted a REALLY good batch yet, so my palate has never had a comparison. Do you think we could maybe do a mead swap? I've drank some meads from the store and didn't like it.

I know homebrew is best when it comes to fermented drinks.

Maybe we can do a mead swap group? Especially for us newbies. I would like to taste what's going on in the group and it'll help us develop our newbie palates.

I won't mess with tannins or acid's yet. I really am liking the trad's I've been making and this last batch #3 was a good batch. I'll bottle up something for you tonight - how much do you need? One cup mason jar ok with a cellophane film under the lid? I'm excited for #4 because it's my first raw/unfiltered honey batch.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns