• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Another noob with probably the same problem everyone else came for

Barrel Char Wood Products

Sk82xs69

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 19, 2018
I watched a YouTube video on easy Mead making. Long story short it's a gallon of water, 3 pounds of orange blossom honey, 1 packet of lalvin ec-1118 yeast. Sterilized balloon on top of water container. It had little bubbles for a few days. And it kind just didn't do anything. Sat 2 weeks and figured it stalled. Bought a carboy and double bubbler and sterilized and transfered and added another half pound of honey and 10 raisens and repitched yeast. It's bubbling every 2 seconds and has been for 2 weeks... No head. A thin layer of sediment. It smells yeasty and not like vinegar... It's still the same color as it was originally. It's in a dark closet that stays about 73 degrees. Am I doing something wrong? I'm a month in and I don't know if I just need to start over and add nutrients next time or what... Any help appreciated.

-Chris

D

Devin Petry-Johnson

Welcome to the forum. They make it look easy in those videos, and it is for the most part, but there is much much more to it than just what you did. There are a ton of resources on this site including the newbee guide and the podcasts, especially the series that starts September of last year. Dive into those to give you a better idea of what's happening and best practices.

First you will need a hydrometer to measure the gravity of the must. This will let you know if the fermentation is still going or if it is done. Bubbles are not a good indicator of that.

In the meantime, I don't think there's much else you can do at this point except wait. Some of the more experienced people might have better ideas. But you'll want to let it continue fermenting. Once it is done you can give it a very gently swirl once a day for a few weeks (to keep the lees suspended and give the yeast a chance to clean up) and then eventually you will want to rack off the sediment into a container that has no headspace, meaning there is no extra air above the liquid. And then you'll age it for several months. Better techniques would have produced a good drink sooner, but with these techniques you might have to wait a bit until it tastes good.

Anyway, welcome and good luck. And don't get frustrated if you next post or two takes time to hit the forums, I think the system does that to new members sometimes.

Sk82xs69

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 19, 2018
Thank you Devin for the input. I guess Monday I'll go get a hydrometer. At this stage since I don't know what starting gravity was how do I measure if fermentation is still going on? If done alot of reading on proper techniques for next time, just needed input on what to do with this first batch.

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
Thank you Devin for the input. I guess Monday I'll go get a hydrometer. At this stage since I don't know what starting gravity was how do I measure if fermentation is still going on? If done alot of reading on proper techniques for next time, just needed input on what to do with this first batch.

Well, you need to feed your yeast. There is no food in raisins to speak of. You're asking your yeast to work on an empty stomach. Depending on how you rehydrated you could have wounded your yeast from the very start. A month is a very long time for it to sit the not working. And all the while bad guys taking over. Measure your gravity and then you have an idea where you stand. Check it later to see if it's moved.

bernardsmith

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 1, 2013
Saratoga Springs , NY
Hiya Sk82xs69 - and welcome. If the total volume (the TOTAL volume) is one US gallon and you had added 3 lbs of honey the typical starting gravity would be about 1.105 (each pound of honey likely increases the gravity of water when the total volume is 1 US gallon to 1.035. If you measure the gravity today you want to see that gravity lower than 1.105. If you added 3 lbs of honey to 1 gallon of water and so the total volume is now about 1.25 gallons then the starting gravity will be about 1.085 (this is simple arithmetic)

Reactions: Eledu
Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns