• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

First batch lost ... hoping to avoid the mistake in next batch

Barrel Char Wood Products

jmaton

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 5, 2017
Hi all, below are the notes I kept from the batch:

Ingredients
  • Honey: 18 lbs Carrot Blossom from Flying Bee Ranch in Oregon
  • Bottled spring water to get to 5 gallons
  • Yeast:Red Star Cotes des Blanc (E491)

Yeast Starter:
  • 800 ml water
  • 1 TBSP malt extract
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1/4 tsp yeast nutrient
  • (1) mix in flask, loose-fitting tinfoil cap
  • (2) heat over low/med to boil, simmer 5 minutes
  • (3) allow to cool
  • (4) add 1 package yeast, put on stir plate for 24 hours

Date & notes
  • 10/08/2017 O.G. 1.122
  • 10/09/2017 Degassed, aerated, added 1 tsp Fermaid-K
  • 10/11/2017 Gravity 1.090. Degassed, aerated, added 1 tsp Fermaid-K
  • 10/14/2017 Fermentation stopped
  • 10/21/2017 Transferred to secondary. S.G. 1.022
  • 03/19/2018 (hey, life is busy) bottled

For the secondary I used a "Big Mouth Bubbler", link" https://www.northernbrewer.com/collections/big-mouth-bubbler/products/siphonless-big-mouth-bubbler-ported-5-gallon

Result
I have linked two photos.
First photo is before I shake the bottle; the mead is basically clear but with a thick layer of something resting at the bottom.
Second photo is just after I inverted the bottle one time and all the junk is beginning to swirl around.

I think this is mold? It's definitely some kind of nastiness and it's in every bottle. The flavor is a chemical off-taste. (I tasted before I noticed the junk floating in the bottle. :-X ) Best way I can describe what's floating in there is a like a liquid form of smoke.

I was very disappointed losing this batch as the honey was quite expensive. Guess I should have used a cheap honey for the first try. :p

Some questions, if I may...
  • You figure the bacteria got in during secondary? I used star-san to disinfect everything (primary bucket, secondary fermenter, bottles, all equipment) but perhaps I did a poor job of it?
  • Next batch I'm going for a sack mead, syrupy sweet with high alcohol.
  • How much honey for a 5 gallon batch? 20-24 lbs?
  • Which yeast? I was thinking Lalvin DV10 ?

Thank you fellow mead-sters.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns