• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Weed in Mead ? Metheglin or Cannabinoidomel

Barrel Char Wood Products

Trenchie

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 1, 2017
Hello,

with all this talk of marijuana ... has anyone tried to get it into mead?

with the copious amounts that I can buy down the road (appearently legally) ... maybe something to try.

-Trenchie

-edit ... or tetrahydromel ? tetrahydocannabinoidomel ?

loveofrose

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Nov 9, 2012
Texas
Yes they have.
No we can’t talk about it (historically).
It would be a metheglin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
Just so you know. They (the bigger ones) don't take it in competitions.

Trenchie

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 1, 2017
Well, that just got quickly uncomfortable.

I guess better to keep it underground. "don't ask don't tell"

-T

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
Well, that just got quickly uncomfortable.

I guess better to keep it underground. "don't ask don't tell"

-T

Oh, I don't care. Whatever floats your boat. I was just saying competitions don't allow it. That's all. Carry on ;)

Trenchie

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 1, 2017
Alright ... then like any other "methiglyn" ... there are advantageous timess and proccesses in the making steps; some better than others, some better at times than others and so forth.

Id think first, I would like to have knowledge of other spice type ingredients that make other metheglins. pirmarily to understand how they go/get into a mead, secondarily to understand how predictably and in which way to get to the best results.

Tertiary, I would like a meed that has the floral overture (in drawing the sample) of our newly exonerated spice. A mouth feel that presents an everescencse of the spice. and of that spice an understanding of it's influence, it's impact, it's magnitude.

So that is what I think we could call a different mead. one based on the understanding of how we apply our current igredients, applied to new reagents.

so let me start with some basic stuff .....

does this work better in fermentation, post fermentation, or as an additive?

Am I talking "Dune" ?

-T

loveofrose

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Nov 9, 2012
Texas
I wasn’t trying to make you uncomfortable. I was only stating the previously stated standards.

Personally, I wish you luck. Working with a heat liable, pungent ingredient is difficult. If your state is legal, post your successes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edaskew

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jun 19, 2018
North Carolina and Mississippi
The active molecule is insoluble in water. I would be surprised to hear that anyone had experienced any psychoactive effects, other than those from ethanol, after ingesting something that is usually 85% or more water, as is mead, infused with said agricultural product. I would imagine the only way to get any of it in there would be to make a tincture and add it after fermentation was complete. My guess is that the stuff would taste pretty foul.

curgoth

Why do something when you can overdo it?
GotMead Patron
Jun 10, 2014
Toronto, ON
www.memento-mori.ca
Also, the active ingredient only comes out after it's been heated ("decarboxylated"), so like in making edibles you'd have to heat it up first to get the good stuff out, then do the infusing. The same stuff binds most enthusiastically with fats, which don't go well into mead. However, I've run across various recipes for infusing it into vodka, so you should be able to get it into your mead - you may have more luck making a high alcohol infusion and using the port making technique to stop fermentation at the desired sweetness.

I don't know enough about the flavour of cannabis to say if it would go well with honey - at a guess, I'd expect it to taste vaguely like a dry-hopped metheglin? You probably want to infuse in secondary, since I'd guess the alcohol has a better chance to pick up the THC/CBD than water at the start.

It doesn't come up a lot here because of the legal issues, especially in the US where GotMead is hosted. If I understand correctly, talking about making a cannabimel/marajuanaglin/whatever we call it is basically still admitting to a Federal crime for Americans, even if it's legal in your state of residence, and for non-Americans it can be grounds for a lifetime ban for travel to the US. I myself haven't tried infusing it yet, but my country recently legalized for recreational use, it so I've been reading up just in case.

Trenchie

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 1, 2017
Yeah, it bothers me that we have such weak legislators for A. not being able to change a simple law B. not having the fortitude to hold governors accountable for the laws they "override". man ... if I was DEA, I'd be arresting every one of these "legal states's" governors until they could get there congress representation to get their act together and represent the people for once, as they are supposed to be doing.

but alas... it's here, it's real, lets understand it. the challange as noted is the lack of water solubility. I think that is a serious limitation in the full effect. but I think we could still get some flavor/nose/mouthfeel. like hops, it has no alchohol % value, it's the flavor we crave.

... now on to some experimentation options. whatever those may be.

edaskew

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jun 19, 2018
North Carolina and Mississippi
It's politics. Politicians know what not to do if they want to get re-elected. They know not to anger a large segment of the population in their district. Living in Mississippi as I do, knowing it is about as conservative as it gets, it surprised me to find that cannabis was decriminalized in 1974. Don't quote me on this and I'm just going from memory, but it's my understanding the penalty for possession of 1 oz or less is a fine of $20. Homebrewing, at the same time, was legal for wine, and illegal for beer until 2012. It was widely tolerated just the same. Now if you were to get caught with a still, unless it's for Tung oil, they will put you under the jail forever!

Money is what changes these things. Once there is a whole lot of money that has been made in the quasi legal pot industry it will become at once both completely legal and completely unprofitable for all but the largest and most efficient operators. If I were a pot CEO, I would not push for federal legalization, until I had made all the money I wanted to make in the business.

shonray

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 2, 2020
Personally, I decarb herb as described here, than I make my extract. I will decarb 10 to 20 min at 200 f. Then I freeze buds and everclear 24 hours and quick wash. I then evaporate the alcohol for shatter or boil it away at 205 f.

jjhodge3

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Dec 28, 2019
N Charlotte NC
I have heard of people doing medibles and they do decarb to get ‘medicinal effects’

Eating drinking raw flower produces no effect as I understand. A tincture would be interesting, but again not the same effect as vapors, and I believe the quantity needed would be very HIGh. Lol

shonray

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 2, 2020
I have heard of people doing medibles and they do decarb to get ‘medicinal effects’

Eating drinking raw flower produces no effect as I understand. A tincture would be interesting, but again not the same effect as vapors, and I believe the quantity needed would be very HIGh. Lol

You can either decarb or not decarb. If you want to get high, you gotta decarb (here you can find info on the process). It's a must... no way around that. I have have stuff where if felt like it was about to hit me and nothing. I made so called medibales too. Will be trying it sometime soon. Keep you posted.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
I think that the bottom line is that weed in mead, while a fun thought, it not really viable because of science. Forget the stupid politics (a redundant term). Even if there were absolutely no restrictions on THC, it just won't work. Unless you can figure out how to make mead, or any other wine, taste good with a bunch of fat floating around in it.

Perhaps this is more the domain of hard liquor like Green Dragon which is essentially a tincture and tastes awful.... or so I have been tol'. :)

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
There is (or at least was a podcast on Gotmead that had a guy one that was about this. I really dislike the guy a lot. Massive lier. Anyway, he does this. His name is Michael Jordan. I don't know if it's still up or not. Manny is incorrect here. There is lots of drinkable weed product in the stores

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
There is (or at least was a podcast on Gotmead that had a guy one that was about this. I really dislike the guy a lot. Massive lier. Anyway, he does this. His name is Michael Jordan. I don't know if it's still up or not. Manny is incorrect here. There is lots of drinkable weed product in the stores

I look forward to trying one. So far all the home-made concoctions have either been horrible or used a green dragon-like tincture that was hidden in sour (but not horrible) fizzy drink. I mean, heck, that gummy I bought on a trip to Alaska did indeed taste pretty good, so I guess something palatable can be made.

Unfortunately we here in Florida don't have access to edibles in stores yet. Plenty of meth... but no edibles. :)

Kennedy007

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 29, 2022
USA
I had never heard of mead before this thread, and now I would really like to try it. I don’t know whether they produce some there in my area, but it looks tasty.
Also, can you make mead with weed? That would be a double effect! I use CBD gums from https://www.tillmanstranquils.com/product/cbg-gummies-750mg/ now, and they do help me with my back pains and anxiety. But sometimes, I become tired of chewing, and that would be great to have something sweet to drink instead. I already imagine stretching on a couch and sipping some weed mead. And I have not even tried the drink!

Last edited:
Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns