• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Degassing, carboy cap vs bung

Barrel Char Wood Products

sietch

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 4, 2019
Victoria, BC
Heya,

48hrs into my first mead and first fermentation of anything (5 gal. traditional 1.121 SG, 71B, SNA -Ferm-K, DAP-, pure O2 for 120sec once at start and once at 24hr mark), Ive got all the details of the recipe and protocols I'm using in a long post I made a couple days ago that's awaiting moderator approval; hopfully that'll post soon.

In the mean time, I've got a degassing question. The batch is currently fermenting in a carboy with an orange carboy cap and hose to jar of star san sitting at the base of the carboy. However, I'm not getting any bubbles. Only when I swirl the carboy will it bubble a decent amount.

It is fermetning though, current gravity is 1.118 and before degassing with my lees stirrer just now, I pulled a sample to taste. It's already fairly carbonated.

I'm thinking the lack of bubbles is because there has not been enough CO2 presure built up to push out the star san in the hose and bubble. Whereas with a normal airlock, the gas just rises straight through easy peasy, no presure required to release CO2.

Should I be concenered that not enough CO2 is being able to degas naturally and therefore stressing out the yeast? Aka, should I switch to a normal airlock or just leave it, it's fine, you're over thinking your first batch?

Cheers!

darigoni

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jun 4, 2016
Brookline, NH
It sounds like you are fine. You're over thinking it. Bubbles are only nice to look at and don't really tell you much, other than something's happening.

"It's already fairly carbonated."

You know that the CO2 that's generated during fermentation is different than that of having a carbonated beverage, right? To get a carbonated beverage, you'll need to ferment dry, then add a small amount of honey (or sugar) and then bottle it before the yeast have a chance to eat it (honey/sugar) and generate carbonation (bottle carbing).

D

Devin Petry-Johnson

I'm no expert but from what I've read I think that the CO2 dissolved in there does make it more difficult for the yeast to do their jobs. That's why it's important to degas. I think you should be degassing twice a day during the early phase when the fermentation is going strong. I don't think it will hurt anything if you don't, but it will slow down the process and it will take longer. Again, I'm no expert. Also, if you detect any sulfur smells or any bad odors, it's important to degas ASAP to help get that out.

sietch

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 4, 2019
Victoria, BC
It sounds like you are fine. You're over thinking it. Bubbles are only nice to look at and don't really tell you much, other than something's happening.

You know that the CO2 that's generated during fermentation is different than that of having a carbonated beverage, right? To get a carbonated beverage, you'll need to ferment dry, then add a small amount of honey (or sugar) and then bottle it before the yeast have a chance to eat it (honey/sugar) and generate carbonation (bottle carbing).

But I like the bubbles! Hahah yah I suppose I'd just like to stare at it and know the yeast is doing its thing. Also like the idea of more CO2 being able to naturally degas easier...but does it really matter or in this case is there even a big difference if it's not and I'm degassing regularly?

How is the CO2 generated during fermentation different than that of a carbed beverage? CO2 is CO2. If it's dissolved in a solution, that solution is carbonated. In the sample I pulled, my mead was already fairly carbonated, meaning there was surprisingly a good amount of CO2 dissolved and I'm wondering if my carboy cap is adversely contributing to an increase in dissolved CO2 when normally through a standard airlock, that CO2 would be able to escape easier.

Thanks for the tips Devin! I'm now degassing twice a day; hopefully that should be enough to not stress those buggers out too much. Will keen an eye...nose, out for any off smells

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
So the CO2 made by the yeast doesn't really affect it enough to really care about. A deeper investigation will show you it's not necessary. But. You will want to continue to keep the yeast roused in suspension until you decide you want to stop rousing so the yeast can drop out to rack.

Star-san isn't any harder to move than water. So that's not an issue at all. My hunch is you have a leak somewhere and it's getting out that way.

sietch

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 4, 2019
Victoria, BC

But I like the bubbles! Yah I suppose I'd just like to stare at it and know the yeast is doing its thing. Also like the idea of more CO2 being able to naturally degas easier...but does it really matter or in this case is there even a big difference if I'm degassing regularly?

As Squatchy mentioned, probably not a big difference.

Darigoni, how is the CO2 generated during fermentation different than that of a carbed beverage? CO2 is CO2. If it's dissolved in a solution, that solution is carbonated. In the sample I pulled, my mead was already fairly carbonated, meaning there was surprisingly a good amount of CO2 dissolved and I'm wondering if my carboy cap is adversely contributing to an increase in dissolved CO2 when normally through a standard airlock, that CO2 would be able to escape easier.

Thanks for the tips Devin! I'm now degassing twice a day; hopefully that should be enough to not stress those buggers out too much. I’ll keep an eye…nose out for any off smells

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
As I mentioned above. The CO2 doesn't bother them one bit. The difference between the CO2 in fermentation verses in carbonation is that during fermentation very little of if is suspended in the must. It's only passing through. In carbonation, it's under pressure and is forced into solution under that pressure. That's why you don't taste any carbonic acid in fermentation, and you do once it's fermented.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns