Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!
  1. Default How to adjust volume to account for additions and subtractions

I moved from primary and now have a fairly full carboy (proper headspace per readings) that I added just 2lbs of figs too. I want to add 8lbs more of dates & raisins but it will overflow if I do.

I am thinking of racking again in a week or 2 as there is still a good amount of sediment at bottom. I read a post that is making think it may not be needed. If I do rack I will then loose some volume. Could be good if I add the 8lbs after.

Even if I do that and work out the proper headspace what do you do when you remove fruit? Volume will go down. So do you add more water to get headspace back where it needs to be? Maybe a more honey if i want it sweeter?

2. Default

Hey Deaccat,

if you have "solid" and significant sediment at the bottom, racking is not a bad idea. yes you lose some volume, but you get that stuff out of the "secondary" and/or whole mix. you could then add the needed volume of flavoring (dates, raisins, figs ... Oh My!) to make up the volume.

as for "calculating" the volume to deal with headspace, adding water or honey is not the best idea. adding water dilutes the mead which is a better idea than adding honey in a non-stabalized mead. stabilizing with sulphates and sorbates. I have no advice for that stuff.

But headspace should not be an issue, mead is quite resilient to oxygen and it's going to produce carbon dioxide that fills that space, displacing the oxygen....even after primary fermentation is over. so the headspace should be of little concern. keep a gas trap on it (... whatever you call the bubbler thingy with water/sanitizer in it).

for my headspace, however voluminous, I've used nitrogen from a can. it fills the void with something other than oxygen. a little over the top, but makes me feel protected.

-T

That's why we ferment in buckets. This way you won't be short on space to add fruit. And you can make enough extra so that when it comes time to age in glass. You will have enough to fill the vessel.
    7 out of 4 people have a hard time using their hydrometer!

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Squatchy View Post
    That's why we ferment in buckets. This way you won't be short on space to add fruit. And you can make enough extra so that when it comes time to age in glass. You will have enough to fill the vessel.
    I plan on doing this next time! i only have a bucket and a carboy. I need to buy another bucket for next time. I started in bucket and moved to glass when I added fruit.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Trenchie View Post
    Hey Deaccat,

if you have "solid" and significant sediment at the bottom, racking is not a bad idea. yes you lose some volume, but you get that stuff out of the "secondary" and/or whole mix. you could then add the needed volume of flavoring (dates, raisins, figs ... Oh My!) to make up the volume.

as for "calculating" the volume to deal with headspace, adding water or honey is not the best idea. adding water dilutes the mead which is a better idea than adding honey in a non-stabalized mead. stabilizing with sulphates and sorbates. I have no advice for that stuff.

But headspace should not be an issue, mead is quite resilient to oxygen and it's going to produce carbon dioxide that fills that space, displacing the oxygen....even after primary fermentation is over. so the headspace should be of little concern. keep a gas trap on it (... whatever you call the bubbler thingy with water/sanitizer in it).

for my headspace, however voluminous, I've used nitrogen from a can. it fills the void with something other than oxygen. a little over the top, but makes me feel protected.

-T
    Thanks for information! Very helpful

I wouldn't rack off of the biomass if you still intend to ferment more. It will either stall or take forever to finish up.
    7 out of 4 people have a hard time using their hydrometer!