• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

GotMead is so FAST!

Barrel Char Wood Products

piojo

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 12, 2017
What happened? The site is 4-5x faster than it used to be. We may start getting more and longer discussions. I can even consider whether I want to become a patron, as it was totally out of the question before.

This is exciting! It's super pleasant to use the site, instead of being a chore. Good job, Vicky!

I've been part of a lot of forums, and some next steps to make the site really shine might be:
- remove the "copied from GotMead" javascript, as it breaks copy/paste when posting. At least remove it until you have a chance to repro and fix the bug.
- add a number next to the "Notifications" link, so users can quickly see if we need to check something out
- big feature: add mentioning with @name, which would also trigger a notification, unless that user has turned off notifications from mentions. Hopefully this would include a javascript which helps autocomplete, at least based on all users who have posted in the thread so far. Or all users, if the extra API call isn't an issue.
- the GotMead Live RSS feed should contain all episodes. This is an easy fix, and I already posted an example of an alternative RSS file in another thread.

Since this is the only dedicated mead forum, I'm glad to see it's getting better, and I'd like to see it get better still. Thank you!

darigoni

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jun 4, 2016
Brookline, NH
Notifications link? I've been here for 2+ years and don't know what you are talking about?

I'd also like to ask that the new posts don't drop off the Activity Stream after 24 hours. Not only have there been a few times when no one has posted in that time frame, so it looks like the site has been abandoned, but it would give members a longer time frame to view new posts.

It would also be nice if Vicky were to have made some sort of announcement regarding the upgrade and if there are any plans for more changes.

darigoni

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jun 4, 2016
Brookline, NH
Notifications link? I've been here for 2+ years and don't know what you are talking about?

Found it. I didn't know that it only shows up when you actually have Notifications. Is there a way to access Notifications, when the link is not included in the main banner? Can it be made a permanent link and not a temporary one?

piojo

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 12, 2017
Found it. I didn't know that it only shows up when you actually have Notifications. Is there a way to access Notifications, when the link is not included in the main banner? Can it be made a permanent link and not a temporary one?

On the upper right? It seems permanent to me, but I don't delete old PMs so I can't tell you what happens in that case. But a count of how many unseen PMs + subscribed threads with new replies would be the ideal UI, like what homebrewtalk has. I'm not sure what vBulletin's features are, because it's generally not reasonable to code something like that by oneself, unless the forum software supports it.

Reactions: darigoni

piojo

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 12, 2017
Whoa. WHOA. I think Vicky just added numeric notification badges at the top of the screen. That is amazing. :D

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns