Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!

Default GotMead is so FAST!

What happened? The site is 4-5x faster than it used to be. We may start getting more and longer discussions. I can even consider whether I want to become a patron, as it was totally out of the question before.

This is exciting! It's super pleasant to use the site, instead of being a chore. Good job, Vicky!

I've been part of a lot of forums, and some next steps to make the site really shine might be:
    - remove the "copied from GotMead" javascript, as it breaks copy/paste when posting. At least remove it until you have a chance to repro and fix the bug.
    - add a number next to the "Notifications" link, so users can quickly see if we need to check something out
    - big feature: add mentioning with @name, which would also trigger a notification, unless that user has turned off notifications from mentions. Hopefully this would include a javascript which helps autocomplete, at least based on all users who have posted in the thread so far. Or all users, if the extra API call isn't an issue.
    - the GotMead Live RSS feed should contain all episodes. This is an easy fix, and I already posted an example of an alternative RSS file in another thread.

Since this is the only dedicated mead forum, I'm glad to see it's getting better, and I'd like to see it get better still. Thank you!

Notifications link? I've been here for 2+ years and don't know what you are talking about?

I'd also like to ask that the new posts don't drop off the Activity Stream after 24 hours. Not only have there been a few times when no one has posted in that time frame, so it looks like the site has been abandoned, but it would give members a longer time frame to view new posts.

It would also be nice if Vicky were to have made some sort of announcement regarding the upgrade and if there are any plans for more changes.

Quote Originally Posted by darigoni View Post
    Notifications link? I've been here for 2+ years and don't know what you are talking about?
    Found it. I didn't know that it only shows up when you actually have Notifications. Is there a way to access Notifications, when the link is not included in the main banner? Can it be made a permanent link and not a temporary one?

Quote Originally Posted by darigoni View Post
    Found it. I didn't know that it only shows up when you actually have Notifications. Is there a way to access Notifications, when the link is not included in the main banner? Can it be made a permanent link and not a temporary one?
    On the upper right? It seems permanent to me, but I don't delete old PMs so I can't tell you what happens in that case. But a count of how many unseen PMs + subscribed threads with new replies would be the ideal UI, like what homebrewtalk has. I'm not sure what vBulletin's features are, because it's generally not reasonable to code something like that by oneself, unless the forum software supports it.

Got it. I knew I'd seen it recently, but kept looking for it on the menu bar and in the drop down menus. :-)

Whoa. WHOA. I think Vicky just added numeric notification badges at the top of the screen. That is amazing.

I too appreciate the new speed. It was like waiting for an old 186 processor to work.