• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Trying to understand acids

Barrel Char Wood Products

aenima

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 22, 2016
Hi!
I am trying to understand this acid thing (malic, tartaric, citric). I recently added some squiizzed lemon juice (drops) to one melomel with blackberries and another melomel with raspberries. Fermented those with 71B. If I should exaggerate a little they smelled a little old (added sulfit and sorbat and the smell has been very similar since the fermentation stopped). With a little lemon the taste got a little brighter. Noticed that I needed more lemon to the raspberries than the blackberries (more berries in the raspberries).

I have another mead, a tradtional of heather honey and the AMH yeast. Have added sulfit and sorbate to that one too. But it also also has a slightly "old/muddy" flavour. Should I add some squizzed lemon to that one too? Is their any rule when to add which acid? Citric for melomels and tartaric for pyments?

/Peter

bernardsmith

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 1, 2013
Saratoga Springs , NY
Not sure if there is a "rule" , but sometimes you may want to add the key acid that is in the fruit you are fermenting and that might help pop the flavor of the fruit. Sometimes you might want to add a blend of acids and that might help pop many other flavors that might be present. Lemon juice is always a good option, but a blend of acids can make a wine or mead taste bright. Apples have malic, berries have citric and grapes have tartaric.

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
I posted an entire page of info specifically for you on this question. It's at the end of a mead make along page in the forum started by me

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns