• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Foam in carboy. Please tell me its ok

Barrel Char Wood Products

deaccat

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 21, 2019
I hope this isn't an infection. It tastes ok. I added jalepenos the other day. Took them out after 1 day. Foam stated after jalepenos taken out. It tasted better at first sample. Now it taste just a tad bit bitter. That could be my imagination. Smells a slightly mustybad in carboy. Could be the smell of the pepper. When I put a sample in glass it doesn't smell too bad.

Attached a pic. My camera phone sucks. Looks worse actually in person. Not sure if attachement worked.Mostly an off white but one area is a darker tannish color.

I put camden tablets in a few days ago (foam was already starting)

Put Sparkloid in yesterday

Deviate

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 27, 2018
I'm kind of a noob still, but I can answer this one. Foam is fine usually, mold is what you have to worry about. However, keep an eye on that taste. As long as it doesn't start getting too sour you should be good.

deaccat

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 21, 2019
I'm kind of a noob still, but I can answer this one. Foam is fine usually, mold is what you have to worry about. However, keep an eye on that taste. As long as it doesn't start getting too sour you should be good.

Thanks, I think there is too much head space now as I removed fruit. I think that could cause oxidation? Would that create foam? I was hoping to wait to bottle until sparkloid works. It says 1-2 weeks. I wonder if I should bottle now to not have sit in container with too much head space?

4give

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jan 1, 2018
Montrose, CO
Hi - I'm wondering if all the foam is causing your airlock (if you have one) to move - e.g. releasing a lot of CO2. I'm assuming you've stabilized with K-Meta and K-Sorb already?
From what I understand, 1-2 weeks with a little too much head space is not going to hurt if you have an airlock on it - and especially if you've stabilized it (managing SO2). I might look for a way to rack it into another container (or a couple different ones) in the event you decide it still needs some bulk aging and flavor tweaking (acid, back-sweeten, etc.).

deaccat

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 21, 2019
Hi - I'm wondering if all the foam is causing your airlock (if you have one) to move - e.g. releasing a lot of CO2. I'm assuming you've stabilized with K-Meta and K-Sorb already?
From what I understand, 1-2 weeks with a little too much head space is not going to hurt if you have an airlock on it - and especially if you've stabilized it (managing SO2). I might look for a way to rack it into another container (or a couple different ones) in the event you decide it still needs some bulk aging and flavor tweaking (acid, back-sweeten, etc.).

I did stabilze. I didn't have airlock on after stabilizing. Just covered the bung hole. I put airlock back on last night and it was/is very active. It is slowing down slightly.

I am eventually going to put 2 gallons in growlers for bulk aging. and I have like 3 750ml bottles I can put some in. The other 2.5 gallons or so I was going to bottle.

I tatsed it today and it still tastes good. It is much clearer. I think it is going to be ok!? Will sparkloid still keep working if racked into smaller containers? I feel like it should be racked after sparkloid takes affect to desired level before bottling. Is this accurate?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns