Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!

Thread: Honey buzz kill

Default Honey buzz kill

Hi,
    I was reading today about honey in general, and found some evidence that stated honey actually helps the body process alcohol faster. This was in the context of it assisting in hangovers. The reason this was stated is because honey helps our bodies process the alcohol faster.

Then I got to thinking about how mead hits me from the buzz perspective. I really don't drink a lot, so I'm sort of a light weight for my size, but I'm pretty sure mead hits me hard and fast, and then the buzz is gone/killed quickly. This almost makes sense if my body is truly processing the honey faster.

Just thought I'd throw this out here and see if others experience the same thing.

I'm all out of mead, so I look forward to experimenting again once this next round of batches is where I want them to be.

I never get hangovers from mead.

The Fusel Shack, in the swamp west of Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

Quote Originally Posted by Lumenbeing View Post
    Too much moderation limits the full range of experience.
    Lanne pase toujou pi bon
    (Past years are always better)

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Lumenbeing View Post
    Not too sure you are trying hard enough.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

My mead does hit me faster, but I never notice the buzz going away faster.

Not sure if this is supposed to be ironic or straight but a reasonable test of this claim (and I am skeptical) might be to have 50 random people drink a couple of glasses of 12% wine and 50 random people to drink 12% mead and then breathalyze each subject 60 minutes after they have emptied their glasses. If the claim has any legs then those, as a group, who drank the mead should have a significantly lower blood-alcohol level than those who drank the same amount of alcohol made from fruit, all other things being equal.

It's both Bernard - just a post to discuss mead experiences, and have fun with it, is all.

The tests would have to be done with the same 50 people that drink the mead, and then at another time drink the wine. Even then, the bodily variables involved would likely require many more tests over a period of time to smooth out the reported data (nothing wrong with that - LOL). Another question is what is "significant" in blood-alcohol differences?

Maybe honey doesn't help your body process alcohol faster, but it might cause someone else's to process it faster. It may depend on the honey as well. Yet another question, or addition to the study, is to measure it at 60, 120, and 180 minutes. What if we find 60 minutes isn't "significant", but 120 minutes is?

Definitely an interesting, and fun, study to consider.

The Fusel Shack, in the swamp west of Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

I'll volunteer to be a test subject (as long as you are testing with good quality stuff).
    Lanne pase toujou pi bon
    (Past years are always better)

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Medsen Fey View Post
    Too much moderation limits the full range of experience.
    This line made me chuckle. So true. haha