Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!

Thread: Enough Yeast

Default Enough Yeast

Hello All,
    I've made a batch, 1 gallon, of basic mead. I bought 3 lbs. of pure honey from a place in western NY. It is a very dark honey with a bit of a molasses flavor, (quite nice tasting!). The yeast was Red Star Premium Blanc dry yeast. I used a 5th of the yeast, (package was 5 grams by weight so I measured out a gram). The package was for 5 gallons.
    I forgot to measure the SG before dosing with the yeast. But did the day after and got 1.00.
    I'm only getting a bubble in the lock every 14 seconds or so. I can see little bubbles in the must. Is that adequate? I've read where folks get like one every 5-6 seconds.
    Thank you in advance for replies.

Well, one thing you need to do is learn how to read your hydrometer. A reading of 1.000 means you either forgot to put any honey in your batch or itís already finished fermenting.

You say you bought 3 lbs of honey, did you use it all? If so, 3 lbs in a 1 gallon batch (total), should give you an SG = 1.108.

Who says that a 5 gram batch is good for 5 gallons?

Youíre probably alright, but you would have been better off using 2 grams per gallon. Also, dry yeast is fairly inexpensive, where as honey is expensive, so donít try and save money by skimping on yeast. Nothing wrong with using the whole package of yeast.

Are you using any nutrients?

Thank you for the reply.
    Will do! (on reading the hydrometer). I'll check it again now.

Yes I used all the honey.
    The package instructions said it was for 5 gallons. So I used 1 gram. I wasn't trying to go cheap by any means. I just figured if 5 was for 5 then 1 gram would be for 1 gallon. And your right, the honey was expensive and the yeast is not! Can I add more now? (Batch is 3 days old).
    No, no nutrients.
    Last edited by Killick; 08-10-2019 at 02:26 PM. Reason: additional verbiage

you are correct. the actual SP is 1.1

I use the entire 5 grams in a gallon. It will only help. and saving 75 cents isn't a thing. It degrades over time once it's opened
    7 out of 4 people have a hard time using their hydrometer!

Quote Originally Posted by Squatchy View Post
    I use the entire 5 grams in a gallon. It will only help. and saving 75 cents isn't a thing. It degrades over time once it's opened
    Thanks for the reply Squatchy. Really? Again I'm not being cheap. Trying to keep things as directions say. I've asked before but can more yeast be added afterwards?

Thanks

I don't see how adding more of the same yeast will hurt the mead. I would rehydrate it properly (according to package instructions) and add it.

Well, the batch is 5 days old at this point, so while you can add the yeast now, if it's been fermenting (bubbling) away all this time, I'd probably just leave it alone.

Quote Originally Posted by darigoni View Post
    Well, the batch is 5 days old at this point, so while you can add the yeast now, if it's been fermenting (bubbling) away all this time, I'd probably just leave it alone.
    This. If it's happy, leave it. Check for off flavours, which could be a sign of underpitching.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    This. If it's happy, leave it. Check for off flavours, which could be a sign of underpitching.
    Again thank you all you have replied. I checked the fermentation again this morning before leaving on a business trip. It is still bubbling away at the same rate, once every 13-14 seconds. She's bubbling away! I'll check the SG at the end of the week and see where it is. I'm keeping it dark and at a temp of approx. 73-76F. Thanks Toxxy. I'll do that tomorrow when I return.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    I don't see how adding more of the same yeast will hurt the mead. I would rehydrate it properly (according to package instructions) and add it.
    So you might have a problem of putting fresh yeast in an alcoholic environment. It could cause them harm and they might possibly make off-flavors.
    7 out of 4 people have a hard time using their hydrometer!

Quote Originally Posted by Squatchy View Post
    So you might have a problem of putting fresh yeast in an alcoholic environment. It could cause them harm and they might possibly make off-flavors.
    Would they still create off flavours if they're rehydrated and introduced into the mead after acclimating them? Serious question, because I know some practices, not specific to mead or anything, sometimes asks for the pitching of a different strain of yeast closer to the end of the fermentation. I've seen people do it before, but never thought about it much.