• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

2 years of stuckness

Barrel Char Wood Products

BCam

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 8, 2014
I made a prickly pear memomel back in September 2017. O.G. 1.117. Racked three months later at only 1.112.
I have lost my notes as to the yeast I used, etc. I've been ignoring it, hoping I guess that it would slowly ferment.

Last week, I decided to see what was up. Gravity now at only 1.110. Super sweet, almost syrupy so. I added some Lavlin D47, and 1/2 tsp of yeast nutrient.

Still no activity. Any suggestions?

m0n5t3r

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 24, 2018
Romania
did you hydrate and acclimate the yeast before pitching? and if so, was it showing signs of activity? maybe you have some preservative in the must that prevents fermentation, or the yeast you have is already dead....

BCam

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 8, 2014
I did not hydrate, but the yeast was fresh. I had just used another packet I bought at the same time on this year's prickly pear melomel and it is going great guns.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns