Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!

Thread: Ferment

Default Ferment

Hi , Guys ,

i am new to mead making but not to brewing , i am not sure how long mead takes to ferment as its my 1st batch OG was 1.120 it is 4 weeks now on temp controller gravity today was 1.020 , recipe is 1gallon , 4.4lbs honey, steeped 1ornage , 1 vanilla bean , 1 sinamon stick , used d47 yeast and nutes , i understand d47 does not ferment dry so i am thinking its close to done ?.

Regards Bazz

1.020 is close to done, yes, if not done already. D47 goes up to 15% ABV if treated right. Leave it for a few more weeks, it can't hurt, and then take another gravity reading. If you're experienced with making beer, see it as a lager. Slow does it, and does it well, time helps it along and rushing it is not going to do you any good.

Did you feed the yeast and at what temperature did you ferment?

Hi ,
    yes i gave it some fermaid & small amount of dap and airation etc , rehydrated yeast on stir plate

Good news. Then give it a few more weeks. Time has never hurt some mead :P

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Good news. Then give it a few more weeks. Time has never hurt some mead :P
    Most of my mead seems to have thrived on benign neglect!

If your SG is holding steady for 2-3 days it has likely come to its end. I find that the fermentation can slow considerably towards the end so checking daily/every other day can be helpful. You'll want to start the cold crash in a timely fashion, but as long as you stir up the lees every few days you have up to a month + after primary fermentation is complete. Don't feel like a fire is under your feet.

If there was anything that stressed me during my first few meads it was the fear of oxidation/delay. I respect these, but not with the anxiety that used to drive me!
    Last edited by EricHartman; 11-07-2019 at 04:59 AM.

If my fermentations slow down near the end, I do gravity checks every week or two, and not every day or other day. It does three things for me:

1. It takes less mead out of the fermenter, so I have more mead in the end.
    2. Gives the yeast time to clean up after itself a bit more.
    3. Makes the difference in gravities, if any, more noticeable so it's easier to spot if it's done fermenting.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    If my fermentations slow down near the end, I do gravity checks every week or two, and not every day or other day. It does three things for me:

1. It takes less mead out of the fermenter, so I have more mead in the end.
    2. Gives the yeast time to clean up after itself a bit more.
    3. Makes the difference in gravities, if any, more noticeable so it's easier to spot if it's done fermenting.
    Since "7 out of 4 people have a hard time using their hydrometer!" I decided to cheat:

www.tilthydrometer.com

Automatically published google docs log: Christmas berry traditional example

yea its pretty awesome!

Would LOVE a tilt hydrometer. No money though, so that'll have to wait at least until I can get the meadery up and running.

It is great outside of "fatty/oily" meads. I made a tropical mead with fresh coconut & the oils accumulated on the hydrometer. The oil changed the density of the device. This led to a level of inaccuracy that had me pulling out old faithful! So long as there is not extreme sediment or fats around it is just wonderful... though the price tag is a punch to the chops for sure!

Thanks guys I have been shaking every couple days the airlock stopped 3 days ago I'm assuming it was at final leg of 1st ferment ,& tilt hydrometers are not good mate has 4 that he does not use now

I have no intention of making oily/fatty meads in the near future at all, so I guess it wouldn't matter. For me, the traditional bug has bitten, hard, and I can't get enough of traditionals. I've now made a traditional dry, one sparkling, one semi-sweet, one just off-dry and my latest is a freeze-distilled version that knocks your socks off, and because I fermented well it doesn't have fusels and it's PACKED with flavour, and, of course, alcohol. That's the one I'm most excited about for now

Quote Originally Posted by baz View Post
    Thanks guys I have been shaking every couple days the airlock stopped 3 days ago I'm assuming it was at final leg of 1st ferment ,& tilt hydrometers are not good mate has 4 that he does not use now
    You can stop shaking the mead completely. The escaping CO2 doesn't benefit the mead at all and you might just risk oxidisation if the fermenter isn't sealing 100%.

Thanks appreciate it how long do i 2nd ferment etc

Hi , Guys ,

i am new to mead making but not to brewing , i am not sure how long mead takes to ferment as its my 1st batch OG was 1.120 it is 4 weeks now on temp controller gravity today was 1.020 , recipe is 1gallon , 4.4lbs honey, steeped 1ornage , 1 vanilla bean , 1 sinamon stick , used d47 yeast and nutes , i understand d47 does not ferment dry so i am thinking its close to done ?.

Regards Bazz
    At 4.4 lbs honey/gal I'm guessing 1.020 is a reasonable FG to expect. Interested to know what the taste is on this.

That strain would easily go dry in my hands with that OG
    7 out of 4 people have a hard time using their hydrometer!

Do you know if his were the first or second version? Mine is the second version and I'm very happy with the results. I guess time will tell but I've used it in 3-4 primaries with only the one issue!