• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Need some advice on a quick ferment and low PH

Barrel Char Wood Products

4give

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jan 1, 2018
Montrose, CO
Hey folks!
I have a couple of batches in ferment right now, and have some questions on protocol for the current situations.

Batch 1:
6 gallon Trad, pitched 15g of D21 night of Nov 4 (rehydrated with go-ferm)
OG 1.094, PH 4.7 at pitch
Made sure to add O2 (using O2 stone) at pitch
Also added 1/2 dosage of booster blanc and opti-white (going to add the other halfs around SG1.020)
No nutrients until 12 hours after pitch (morning of Nov 5), and adding them approx (not exact, but close, due to work, etc.) every 24 hours afterwards
Been adding O2 every 12 hours from pitch
Temperature at pitch was a little high, 84F, but I brought that down and it's been fermenting a few degrees warmer than I'd like, but still between 68-72F
Everything seems to be doing fine. It actually has a bit of a sweeter smell right now than the standard yeasty smell.
As of this morning, I've dosed the 3rd nutrient feeding, and the SG is 1.068 (5 points from 1/3 break). PH has dropped to 3.3 with and temp is 68.6F

Questions:
1 - If it hits the 1/3 break this evening, should I still feed it the 4th nutrient dose only 12 hours later, skip it, or wait the 24 and dose anyway (likely will have passed 1/3 break)?
2 - The last O2 dose would normally be this evening, should I continue with that as well?

Batch 2:
1.25 gallon Trad, pitched 4g of D254 night of Nov 4 (rehydrated with go-ferm)
OG 1.095, PH 4.7 at pitch, and 70F at pitch (kept between 66.4 and 68.5F during ferment)
Made sure to add O2 (using O2 stone) at pitch
Also added 1/2 dosage of booster blanc and opti-white (going to add the other halfs around SG1.020)
No nutrients until 12 hours after pitch (morning of Nov 5), and adding them approx (not exact, but close, due to work, etc.) every 24 hours afterwards
Been adding O2 every 12 hours from pitch
As of this morning, I've dosed the 3rd nutrient feeding, and the SG is 1.068 (4 points from 1/3 break).
*While I'm not getting any off-smells, I've had a couple new (to me) conditions with this batch. Last night the PH was way low (unless my equip is way off) at about 2.5. I panicked a bit and added 1/3 tsp of Potassium Biacarbonate which seemed to raise it a bit, but it's PH this morning is still around 3.
*The other observation I had is that dried yeast granules (my term) out of the packet never seemed to break up or dissolve (so to speak). A lot is still floating around in the must.

Questions:
1 - (Same as above) If it hits the 1/3 break this evening, should I still feed it the 4th nutrient dose only 12 hours later, skip it, or wait the 24 and dose anyway (likely will have passed 1/3 break)?
2 - The last O2 dose would normally be this evening, should I continue with that as well?
3 - Any thoughts on the PH taking such a quick dive and if I should add a bit more potassium bicarbonate?
4 - Any thoughts on the D254 yeast granules? Has anyone else seen this with other yeasts, or this yeast specifically?

Thanks for reading, and any consideration. Be Blessed!

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
I would say add it until you have more experience and once you have a better idea of a certain strains needs then make adjustments. I only add O2 for the first 3 days or so. Once the yeast moves out of the growth phase they no longer need any O2 because they go anaerobic.

I don't see much of a dive at all when using Fermaid O. What food are you using? I have never had to. But I would suggest only adding K2C03 if a batch actually does stall out.

4give

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jan 1, 2018
Montrose, CO
Thanks Squatchy. I added less K2CO3 than recommended, and it seems unfazed at this point :cool:
Next time I'll wait to for it to stall before adding it.
I'm using Fermaid O for food (forgot to add that detail). So you're saying go ahead and add the 4th dose of Fermaid O? Should I add it just 12 hours later if it is at the 1/3 break, or should I wait 24 hours when it will likely be just past the 1/3 break?

Any thoughts on my 4th question on D254?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns