Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!
  1. Default Recipe modification = Yeast not activating??

Hi all,

I was just wondering if someone could help me out.

I have made 'Joe's Ancient Mead' many times over the past few years, and am very happy with it, so never really venture to do anything different.

I have occasionally played with same recipe, added plums, or apples etc, and they have worked out well.

The other day I thought I might try something different.

I have a 'juice' I am very fond of (Goji berry and Grape), and thought this might add a nice flavour to a mead.

So I gave it a go, like I have done before, with my other slight modifications.

But with this one the yeast never activated.. I did everything the same, as to when I have always made a successful mead.. But this time, nothing.

After days there has been no bubbling, no foam, no air at all, coming out of the airlock.

I tried warming it up again, and adding more yeast..it bubbled for about an hour, then nothing again.

I'm assuming my goji juice is far too concentrated or something (the mix rate if I was to drink the juice is 1 part juice concentrate to 5 parts water - 1L concentrate makes 6L of juice)

With my mead, I added the whole litre of juice concentrate, to my usual 'Joe's Ancient Mead' 4.5L carboy recipe (obviously substituting a litre of water for the litre of juice concentrate).

Is there a way I could get this to work, by adding more yeast or something? or is it just too thick and concentrated to work?

Thanks in advance..

My guess is the juice has sulfites in it to keep it from fermenting in the bottle. If it does you won't get it to start
    7 out of 4 people have a hard time using their hydrometer!

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Squatchy View Post
    My guess is the juice has sulfites in it to keep it from fermenting in the bottle. If it does you won't get it to start
    Didn't even think of that..makes total sense..thanks