Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!
  1. Default Weizen yeasts in mead?

Although I've been told that banana flavors are a sign of a mead gone bad, I am a big fan of bananabread-y wheat beers and have been wondering if you could successfully impart a similar flavor profile to a mead and might be pleasant.

the first issue I've researched is that wheat beer strains likely wouldn't survive the full fermentation process.

the second issue is, from some initial research, it seems that heff yeast strains need an acid only found in wheat to impart the bananabread-y flavor profile of a heff; could a malt extract be introduced to mead? and if so, what might be a good ratio?

any ideas or suggestions?

Look into Kviek yeast
    7 out of 4 people have a hard time using their hydrometer!

Default Weizen yeasts in mead?

This type of flavor profile is cause by yeast that lack the POF+ gene and are brewed 68+F. The lack of the POF+ gene leads to increased production of isoamyl acetate (banana) and 4VG (clove) flavors. No wheat required, but you could always add it to improve body.

I havenít seen an ale yeast yet that wouldnít surpass 12% ABV in mead with a proper nutrient protocol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Better brewing through science!

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by loveofrose View Post
    This type of flavor profile is cause by yeast that lack the POF+ gene and are brewed 68+F. The lack of the POF+ gene leads to increased production of isoamyl acetate (banana) and 4VG (clove) flavors. No wheat required, but you could always add it to improve body.

I havenít seen an ale yeast yet that wouldnít surpass 12% ABV in mead with a proper nutrient protocol.

what yeast strains would you recommend trying that lack the POF+ gene?

Anything from Omega, White Labs or Wyeast that has Hefeweizen in the name will work. If the description says banana and clove it will work. Iím partial to Omega.

Better brewing through science!