Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!

Thread: Acerglyn?

1. Default Acerglyn?

while briefly researching acerglyn, it was noted by several people that, while 100% fermentable, a pure acerglyn doesn't really retain any of the flavor profiles of maple syrup the way honey does. although I have yet to try it, I would really like to.

Does anyone have a good, simple recipe for it?

has anyone successfully fermented maple syrup and retained the flavors of the syrup?

I came across a recipe that was a hybrid mead/syrup recipe that used mostly honey as the sugar source (~2:1 honey to syrup ratio), but no reviews by others attesting to its outcome.

others have recommended backsweetening with syrup, but that feels like cheating to me - I may as well just shake up some liquor with some syrup and call it a day (although I'll always make an exception for a maple whiskey sour! ;-).

thoughts?

Well so if you don't want to "cheat" then the only thing you can do is waste the maple up in the primary. You won't get any "noticeable" maple profile. Of course, you will notice if it's left out. But unless you have fermented it and know that taste you wouldn't call it out in a blind tasting. I don't think it's cheating and love the ones I make. Do you think it's cheating when you add fruit or spices post-fermentation?
    7 out of 4 people have a hard time using their hydrometer!

Hi. I haven't tried an Acerglyn yet, but it's on my list. I'm not trying to hijack Ty520's thread, but I did have a few very related questions...

1 - I haven't done a lot of research on them, but most recipes I've seen for Acergylns have been sparkling/carbonated. I'm guessing that's due to balancing out the sweetness of the maple syrup added in secondary. Are they typically sparkling/carbonated?
    (relative questions)
    2 - What oaks, if any, have folks used for Acerglyns? (I was thinking Hungarian, and maybe a slight blend with some French)
    3 - Are there any yeasts folks have used that have a flavor profile matching up with the maple?

I like American oak for the Carmel/vanilla fractions. I would, and have always used a strain to support the type of honey.
    7 out of 4 people have a hard time using their hydrometer!

My standard acerglyn ratio is 1 kg honey to 1 540 ml can of maple syrup for one gallon, it's probably the recipe I've made the most times and it seems to work well for me. I like it to finish around 1.015 or so, I'll backsweeten with more maple syrup if the yeast does its job too well You will likely find it needs some acidity adjustment at the end to balance it. I would take Squatchy's suggestion and use a yeast that works well with the honey you're using.
    "The main ingredient needed is 'time' followed closely by 'patience'." - The Bishop 2013
    "When you consider that laziness and procrastination are the fundamentals of great mead, it is a miracle that the mazer cup happens." Medsen Fey, 2014
    "Sure it can be done. I've never heard of it, but I do things I've never heard if all the time. That is the beauty of being a brewer!" - Loveofrose, 2014
    "I tend to....um, er, experiment, and go outside the box. Sometimes outside the whole department store." - Ebonhawk, 2014

6. Default

Iím trying a 1 gallon acerglyn now for my first time. I have a couple maple trees in my back yard and make my own syrup. With that said, instead of using maple syrup, I boiled about 2 gallons of sap down to under a half gallon and used that in place of some water. Iím hoping the mineral content will be higher than using commercial syrup and will result in a more robust maple character out of primary. It also has a high enough OG that I should have residual sweetness. Itís 6 days in and well past the halfway mark. All else fails, Iíll back sweeten with syrup.

I think that if we are making mead at home, NOTHING we do to improve the taste is cheating. Nothing. Adding things like glycerin or tannin or acid blend isn't cheating AT ALL. 90% of home brewers, mazers and vintners are just making it for themselves and friends and I don't see any problem at all with using shortcuts to produce a delicious end product. Leave the snobbery to the commercial makers and people who enjoy competing. They HAVE to be snobs because they want to win (in the latter case) and sell (in the former).

Adhering to strict guidelines or rules is important and admirable when you want to sell or win, but for most of us, just having someone genuinely enjoy what we pour at home and ask for more is the ultimate goal and it really doesn't matter how we get there.

So go ahead and "cheat."

The Fusel Shack, in the swamp west of Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

Quote Originally Posted by mannye View Post
    ...NOTHING we do to improve the taste is cheating. Nothing.
    Well said!
    The only way you can cheat is if you don't do everything you can to wind up with a result you really enjoy. And then you are simply cheating yourself out of a great batch.
    Lanne pase toujou pi bon
    (Past years are always better)