• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

vanilla orange mead question

Barrel Char Wood Products

Ty520

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 19, 2020
i am planning to do a 1 gal batch of vanilla orange honey mead during my next run. so far, i have only done show meads, experimenting with various types of yeasts.

I'm thinking i want the vanilla and orange to be distinct but not strong: my plan was to use 2 beans split and the rind with pith removed of 1 orange in primary and tossed when racked for secondary

any thoughts on if i should prep vanilla or orange differently?

whole beans, scraped beans?

include orange pith?

include inner flesh of orange?

add during secondary instead?

transfer beans and/or rind during racking from primary to secondary?

4give

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jan 1, 2018
Montrose, CO
I'm leary of orange pith. If I ever do an orange mead again, i may use the pulp/juice part, and some orange zest (primary, secondary, or both), but I'm not using the whole peal.

Squatchy advised that yeast will consume vanillin, so you'll want to add that after stabilization (secondary). i use whole beans, but I slice one side lengthwise all the way so the mead can get inside of the bean.

Another option for vanilla is some American Oak (I use Med+ char). If you use the xoaker brand, you'll only need 1 per gallon, but let it age on the oak for at least 4 months to get any of the vanillin out of it in my experience. Cubes may perform differently, so taste as you go.

You could do a Trad, and then add all this in secondary, or do an experiment fermenting with the orange in one gallon, and adding in secondary in the other, then seeing what it tastes like as a blend. Just some ideas to help you learn along the way.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns