• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Can I use the fruit taken out of mead for something?

Barrel Char Wood Products

MeadMakerUK

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 9, 2020
Hi Folks,
My first post here so be gentle!
I was wondering if the fruit taken out of mead can be used for anything? Like could I freeze it into highly alcoholic fruit icecubes? Any ideas? or do I just have to chuck it? (seems a waste!)

rb2112br

Honey Master
Registered Member
Mar 27, 2018
Welcome to the forums! I have never tried it, so I can't say if it's worth the effort, but my guess is that fruit used in primary would probably not be worth the effort. Fruit used to back sweeten after stabilizing, I think might be. Again, that is just a best guess on my part.

darigoni

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jun 4, 2016
Brookline, NH
I've used fruit (used in the secondary fermentation) to make jam. It came out good, but had a slight mead taste to it.

bernardsmith

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 1, 2013
Saratoga Springs , NY
I've used fruit (used in the secondary fermentation) to make jam. It came out good, but had a slight mead taste to it.

So if there was enough flavor in the fruit after you removed it from the secondary what impact would it have had on the finished mead? There is no free lunch, so I would have thought that if the mead extracted all the flavor then there would be none for (in your case) jam making and if there was enough flavor for jam then there would have been virtually nothing extracted and left in the mead.... No?

EricHartman

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 4, 2019
Indiana
Certainly great for composting! The fruit flavors the mead through diffusion which is a passive process (no energy required). This means that at the end of the process, if it's left long enough, the fruit hulls will taste like must.

The thing to remember is that it will have the same flavor density of the must so you'll end up with a sensory mismatch. If you bite into a fruit hull you'd find it tasted like the ghost of the fruit with elements of anything else you had in the must.

EricHartman

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 4, 2019
Indiana
But my guess is that the fruit would taste quite delightful on ice-cream (because of the mead flavors that would adhere to the fruit).

Now there's using your thinking hat! I bet that could be quite nice assuming a good pairing.

EricHartman

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 4, 2019
Indiana
Avocado mead fruit and bubble gum ice cream? Had to get a little weird to fulfill your request but I'm pretty sure that would be gross... Though it has been a few decades since I've tried bubble gum ice cream so I could be wrong!

m0n5t3r

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 24, 2018
Romania
I only ever made 2 batches of fruit mead (one blueberry, one raspberry): blueberries went into primary and almost nothing was left of them at the end (turned to mud), raspberries went half in primary (turned to mud), and half in secondary (extracted everything in 3 days, they still had some shape left, but no more color and they tasted like mead, ofc.)

I assume larger / harder fruit (say, pineapple, quince, apples) will retain texture and shape, though, so they should do fine in a fruit salad, it will just be somewhat alcoholic and taste like mead, not like the original fruit :)

Sour cherries might work as well (around here we macerate them in homemade brandy and they're still whole at the end)

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns