Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!Shop Etowah Meadery!
  1. Default Can I use the fruit taken out of mead for something?

Hi Folks,
    My first post here so be gentle!
    I was wondering if the fruit taken out of mead can be used for anything? Like could I freeze it into highly alcoholic fruit icecubes? Any ideas? or do I just have to chuck it? (seems a waste!)

2. Default

Welcome to the forums! I have never tried it, so I can't say if it's worth the effort, but my guess is that fruit used in primary would probably not be worth the effort. Fruit used to back sweeten after stabilizing, I think might be. Again, that is just a best guess on my part.

Compost.

If all goes well with the mead, the fruit will be flavorless.

Welcome to Gotmead!

I've used fruit (used in the secondary fermentation) to make jam. It came out good, but had a slight mead taste to it.

Quote Originally Posted by darigoni View Post
    I've used fruit (used in the secondary fermentation) to make jam. It came out good, but had a slight mead taste to it.
    So if there was enough flavor in the fruit after you removed it from the secondary what impact would it have had on the finished mead? There is no free lunch, so I would have thought that if the mead extracted all the flavor then there would be none for (in your case) jam making and if there was enough flavor for jam then there would have been virtually nothing extracted and left in the mead.... No?

Certainly great for composting! The fruit flavors the mead through diffusion which is a passive process (no energy required). This means that at the end of the process, if it's left long enough, the fruit hulls will taste like must.

The thing to remember is that it will have the same flavor density of the must so you'll end up with a sensory mismatch. If you bite into a fruit hull you'd find it tasted like the ghost of the fruit with elements of anything else you had in the must.
    Remember that knowledge has value even when its free! Consider becoming a GotMead patron member to help Vicky host this awesome site.

7. Default

Thanks Folks, I thought that would be the case.

But my guess is that the fruit would taste quite delightful on ice-cream (because of the mead flavors that would adhere to the fruit).

Quote Originally Posted by bernardsmith View Post
    But my guess is that the fruit would taste quite delightful on ice-cream (because of the mead flavors that would adhere to the fruit).
    Now there's using your thinking hat! I bet that could be quite nice assuming a good pairing.
    Remember that knowledge has value even when its free! Consider becoming a GotMead patron member to help Vicky host this awesome site.

Ha! What pairing of ice-cream and meady fruit is not good?

Avocado mead fruit and bubble gum ice cream? Had to get a little weird to fulfill your request but I'm pretty sure that would be gross... Though it has been a few decades since I've tried bubble gum ice cream so I could be wrong!

The Fusel Shack, in the swamp west of Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

The stuff can make a good smoothy too - sort of daiquiri-like.
    Lanne pase toujou pi bon
    (Past years are always better)

I only ever made 2 batches of fruit mead (one blueberry, one raspberry): blueberries went into primary and almost nothing was left of them at the end (turned to mud), raspberries went half in primary (turned to mud), and half in secondary (extracted everything in 3 days, they still had some shape left, but no more color and they tasted like mead, ofc.)

I assume larger / harder fruit (say, pineapple, quince, apples) will retain texture and shape, though, so they should do fine in a fruit salad, it will just be somewhat alcoholic and taste like mead, not like the original fruit

Sour cherries might work as well (around here we macerate them in homemade brandy and they're still whole at the end)