• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Coconut and Dates

Barrel Char Wood Products

Fenrir's Dog Bowl

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 9, 2020
Hi, I was wondering if anyone had experience using coconut and dates in their mead? I would very much like to try making a batch of mead using these but I am completely ignorant on how to go about it. My thoughts were to use coconut milk or water (not sure if the same thing) and purée dates. But I’ve heard coconut has too high of a fat content to be used and that dates are not easily infused. Any help would be appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EricHartman

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 4, 2019
Indiana
I used coconut in a tropical mead. The recipe called for fresh coconut that was then toasted. Coconuts suck to get the meat out of. The oils from the coconut were noticable as they coated my tilt hydrometer, which stopped it from doing it's job, but otherwise nothing special. As for flavor the total effort was a waste. I'm not sure if I didn't use enough, or maybe didn't toast it sufficiently, but the coconut left no noticable flavor at all.

If I were to ever try coconut again I'd buy it toasted from the store not as an intact nut! I'd also use it as a singular ingredient to see if it is capable of flavoring a water based solution or if most of the flavor lies within the oil fraction.

4give

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jan 1, 2018
Montrose, CO
I haven't tried it - even in it's commercially sold form and purpose - but there are companies selling "coconut water". It comes from young coconuts, and apparently is one of the latest health 'rages' out there. The description is that it has no oil, but does have some of the flavor.

I'm not a big coconut fan, but maybe I'll go try the water. My guess is that might be a starting point for an experiment. Not sure if it has any pectin in it, or if it makes it difficult to rack, etc.

Fenrir's Dog Bowl

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 9, 2020
This is great thank you both! I will definitely have to try a few things maybe make a few small batches before going all out and making 5gal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
I would only add it post stabilization. You will need a lot to make a difference. I doubt if the water would end up tasting like coconut if you used it making your must. But that is just my hunch as I have no personal experience with it

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Get some Everclear and fill a jar halfway with the Everclear. Then shred and toast coconut meat (there are about 1,000,000 tutorials online on how to do this) add about the same volume of toasted coconut. Put that lid on tight. Shake it every day for 30 seconds or more, (heck, 30 minutes... I kid, but more is better) every day for about a week and a half, two weeks. Open the jar and strain the liquid out. I would use a fine sieve and a cheesecloth. Add the extract to your finished mead.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns