• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

What did you brew during your Coronacation?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Toxxyc

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Dec 21, 2017
Pretoria, South Africa
I'm starting a sweet milk chocolate stout this weekend. Honey's a bit scarce and expensive right now and the new hives didn't take off like we'd hoped, to we'll have to buy more for future batches in the upcoming winter. So beer it'll have to be. Doubling up the lactose, increasing the ABV and blending in a lot of cocoa and a dash of coffee in the end. I can't wait!

loveofrose

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Nov 9, 2012
Texas
Added Mead of Ra today. It’s a recreation of the mead King Tut was buried with. It was a big hit last time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EricHartman

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 4, 2019
Indiana
An excellent characteristic for an adult hobby is that it should be able to be neglected without significant issue!

Geoff_Johnson

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jan 26, 2020
Greene, NY
We started off with a tart cherry/blackberry/black current on the day that NY started "distance learning". It is sitting in secondary right and tastes quite yummy!. More recently, we started a 5.5 gal raspberry melomel which we are going to break down and tweak in the secondary...trying a raspberry-chocolate, raspberry-mint, and maybe a raspberry-mint-chocolate. I also made a 2gallon batch of left over frozen fruit from the kid's lunches since I needed to clear out the freezer. I really have no idea what that is going to taste like but the freezer has room!

Toxxyc

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Dec 21, 2017
Pretoria, South Africa
Do you use any vanilla in that?

Sorry, missed this post. No I used no additives to my brew this time around (unlike I planned). Last round I added cocoa, coffee and liquorice. This time though, I used nothing but malt, yeast and lactose. The beer is great (it's done now). It's sweet, VERY chocolatey and missing a lot of the roast maltiness that I'm not a fan of. It tastes like I'm drinking that chocolate sauce you pour over ice cream, which is exactly what I was aiming for.

I had an issue on brew day though. I don't have a malt mill, and order my malts milled. My base malt wasn't milled, I didn't see this and mashed with the unmilled malt. Very low gravity, and I ended up with a 3% ABV beer (on the dot). Next time I'm aiming for double that, at least. Smaller batch, perhaps, but I want to hit 6% ABV at least.

58limited

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
May 25, 2015
SE Texas
www.1958buickforum.net
No meads yet but I've brewed four beers: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone, Ayinger Maibock clone, Pilsner Urquel clone, and an English Brown ale kit. All are in secondaries, will start kegging tomorrow.

A friend has a small boysenberry patch and I have picked 30 lbs so far. I am planning a mead, a wheat beer, and a session mead with them. I'll go tomorrow and see if there are anymore berries. I take a 2 gallon bucket and spend about an hour picking the berries - I get 10-11 lbs each time. If I get more I will do a port as well.

edaskew

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jun 19, 2018
North Carolina and Mississippi
Two batches of Solstice Apple Cherry Melomel. Two batches of Cherry Pyment, which are on Day 3. I'm here to look at my blueberry recipes because I heard the blueberry farm down the road is open now.

kabird29070

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 13, 2019
I'm thinking that this list is going to be long, so please bare with me ;-) Cyser experiment (3.5 gallon batches) testing different yeast strains and what they offer to a cyser. The strains included K1V-1116, 71b, D-47, QA23 and heck I'm forgetting two others. 10 gallons of wildflower traditional twice then split into four (4x 5 Gallon) for fruit additions of 3 pounds per gallon: Blueberry, Strawberry, Blackberry and Raspberry. An experiment on the amount of peaches-mangoes-papaya to reach the taste profile desired 2 gallons each at 1 lb, 2 lb, and 3 lb. of fruit per gallon. Two Acerglyns one of which is in a ten gallon bourbon barrel for a years nap ;-P Two 5 gallon Orange Mels, three 3 gallon Lemon Gingers, a five gallon Mandarin Orange, 3 gallon traditionals of Mesquite, Avacado, Buckwheat, Fireweed, Orange Blossom, Meadowfoam, Blueberry and a 1 gallon Tupelo. Just a few from this list. Today was two five gallon Pyments, 1 red (RC212) 1 white (QA23). Should not run out of good mead for a few days ;-P

jjhodge3

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Dec 28, 2019
N Charlotte NC
No meads yet but I've brewed four beers: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone, Ayinger Maibock clone, Pilsner Urquel clone, and an English Brown ale kit. All are in secondaries, will start kegging tomorrow.

A friend has a small boysenberry patch and I have picked 30 lbs so far. I am planning a mead, a wheat beer, and a session mead with them. I'll go tomorrow and see if there are anymore berries. I take a 2 gallon bucket and spend about an hour picking the berries - I get 10-11 lbs each time. If I get more I will do a port as well.

Hey 58 L

was wondering if you dry hopiped The Pilsner?

if so for how long and how long did you lager and did you continually drop temperatures?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns