• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Wow, what a smell.

Barrel Char Wood Products

frob23

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Dec 5, 2003
This could be me; I could be paranoid. But today when I opened my closet to take a look at some brewing cider (yeah I know, not mead) I was hit with a wall of delicious apple smell. I think it smells great but I have a feeling it might lead others in my house to investigate. So far I think I am okay because it is apple and I have an apple-cinnamon scented air freshener. Anyone who smells a whiff of it will assume it is the air freshener. Here is the question: when I do a mead -- or a melomel with a different fruit -- will it produce such a heady aroma? If so, what do you recommend? Just more air fresheners or maybe a box of baking soda in the closet?

Wow, it does smell great though.

frob23

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Dec 5, 2003
lol, this is good advice for 99% of the population. I live at home (yes I am 23) and my mother is a teetotaler... all alcohol is sin and evil. She knows that I drink but gives me hell for it. I had a couple of beers for my cousin's bachelor party and she called me a drunkard for a couple of weeks. Obviously I am not a drunkard -- I drink rarely and with moderation -- but that does not matter to her. At this point it is her way or the highway, and this is the cheapest rent around. Will she find it? Surely. Do I want that to not be sometime soon? Definitly.

ThistyViking

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 15, 2003
Ok I have an odball solution for you that may not be in your budget, and I don't know how workable it is actually. Check out how much a climate controlled self storage facility is and do your brewing there. It should definately be cheaper than moving out. Otherwise you start gettig into the realm of a friends basement or some such solution that may have other problems. Note that being in a closed closset concentrates the odors for when you open the door.

frob23

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Dec 5, 2003
Hmm, the off site C.C. storage idea is great. I might just have to look into that. I don't have a huge budget but if it is cheap enough I could fit it in somehow. I never even thought of that. I could build up to my hearts content. Might be a pain to check up on it as frequently as I wanted but that might be for the best. A friend's house would be great. Except my friends are less patient than I am. My five gallon batch might mysteriously get kidnapped by alien cows from Venus and turn into a two gallon batch.

Yes, the closed closet concentrates the smell. During the early morning I have been opening the door and airing it out. I turn the fan on low to get some air circulating and open the window also. This keeps the smell down for the most part. You cannot smell it from outside the closet anymore.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns