• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Chat room

Barrel Char Wood Products

Jmattioli

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Vicki,
Thought it might be a good idea since suggestions are what you are looking for, to add a Chat room. I've noticed alot of us are on at the same time and it would help keep the posts of a more serious nature and allow us to shoot the breeze and share some mead nonsense in a more casual way without cluttering up the posts for others. You could call it " The Mead Nonsense Room" ;)
Joe

Norskersword

NewBee
Registered Member
May 19, 2004
While we are on the subject, I've been thinking of suggesting another forum subject for general nonsense posting. I've noticed in most forums they have a "General Discussion" subject.

WikdWaze

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 2, 2004
While we are on the subject, I've been thinking of suggesting another forum subject for general nonsense posting. I've noticed in most forums they have a "General Discussion" subject.
Another good idea. I sometimes have a hard time figuring out which category to post in. A chat room is useful, but not always at 3 A.M.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Chat rooms are nice, but they do chew bandwidth pretty heavily, and sometimes trend toward destabilizing an entire site.

While I agree that we're certainly posting a lot of "not necessarily on-topic" dialog I think that isn't always a bad thing. Sure wading through it can be less than convinient, but as with an empty restaurant, an empty forum does not attract a lot of customers.

I'm as guilty or even more-so of posting off-topic in places, but I think more open a forum/board seems, the more willing the lurkers are to join and post if they see that people aren't going to take their heads off, or flame someone to cinders for asking newbee questions. Maybe it's just me but I think people are more willing to take that plunge into typing "out-loud" so to speak if they see a lot of people talking about on topic and off topic stuff.

That being said, I would love to see a chat room, and echo Joe's idea of putting one up.

Oskaar

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Maybe we could have a tasing notes section somewhere on the new and improved site (like maybe in the commercial meaderies database with a link to reviews by members of the meads produced at that particular meadery?).

I could help give that some structure. I'm entertaining this evening and we're going to have some different meads in a blind tasting, so it would be nice to be able to post those notes up for someone who would like to get an idea of what a particular commercial mead would taste like. This might give them a better idea of what to buy or what to pass-up. Just a thought.

Oskaar

Derf

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 5, 2004
I don't think anyone has posted anything here that is out of place in a mead forum. What I would apreciate, though, is if people would start a new topics rather than run on in the same topic with posts that have little to do with the original subject. This would simply make it easier to find stuff.

Jmattioli

Lifetime GotMead Patron
I don't think anyone has posted anything here that is out of place in a mead forum.
I agree with you. Its all mead related but I would catergorize some of the posts.. mine included.... as mead chit chat and just thought a chat room might be nice and more appropriate for small talk and quick dialog between mead friends. Some beginners might not want to wade through a lot of small dialog because that may not be what they are looking for in the post section. Just my opinion... no more, no less and no more valuable than anyone elses.
Joe

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
'K, chat rooms have been added to the Official Wish List. I'm looking over software, and will deal with it right after I find and implement a *working* db script for handling the recipes and meaderies......

Vicky

JamesP

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 3, 2003
Brisbane Australia
Vicky, et. al.

Two suggestions (as if you didn't have enough to do)

1) Add a "system time" to each system message that says when someone enters or leaves.

This will allow others to identify if you check the chatroom at a specific time of day, and maybe try to check at the same time (help sychronise joining)

2) It would be nice if people could configure the chatroom window to beep when someone new joins the chatroom but you don't happen to be actively looking at the window (and also beep or something when a new item is posted to the forum -> provide a notification of new posts to the forum).

I often have the forum logged in while I'm working, so would be handy to know when someone else is active on the forum.

Let me know if you want assistance with this, I have a little code tinkering experience.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns